1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That political organization was the NRA.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I have often appreciated McCain's willingness to speak up about Trump. My problem with him is that he'll give statements like this, but when the vote is called he still votes the GOP line. He bucked it on Obamacare repeal, but otherwise he's all talk.

lakefront and qtlaw like this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It started with the republican emasculation of Jimmy Carter With a complicit and patronizing news media. Annapolis Grad and Engineer was allowed to be pretreated as a goofball backwoods peanut farmer. And Jimmy couldn’t get out of his own way.
    Gingrich and his band of lying pervertswho branded themselves, undeservedly, as family values types. With his scorched earth attempts and false piety Gingrich is more to blame than anyone.
    Ross Perot was more of an insitigator than Palin.
    Taking a woman as VP smelled of desperation, taking Palin stunk of wet dogshit

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think if anyone was ever really going to "drain the swamp," John McCain would end up swirling around the drain for quite a while, a little like a clump of hair. But the self-serving John McCain, who plays the statesman, war hero and conscience of the Senate role at times like this, often strikes the right note with the rhetoric. There was nothing he said in that statement that isn't what a lot of politicians should be out there saying right now. . . . without making calculations, but because right is just right. We have that less than ever. McCain is in a position where he can do it, and vindictively probably wants to do it whenever there is a chance. And I ain't going to argue with it. It's the message, not the man, that matters most (well, to me), even if the reason the message might reach one or two people who it might not otherwise, is because of who is saying it.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It continues to boggle my mind that the ONLY world body that's played a strong hand with Putin is the hallmark of integrity known as the IOC.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Although it's been said, many times, many ways on this account: Loved the McCain of the "Straight Talk Express." But couldn't vote for the one that not only inflicted Sarah Palin on us, but, when he talked, you could see Karl Rove's lips moving.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Everything changed when he won the nomination and the GOP machine got around him. It was very sad to watch happen.

HanSenSE and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. heyabbott

July 27, 2016, Trump: "Russia, if you're listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing."
    Indictment: That evening, Russian operatives targeted Clinton campaign emails "for the first time."

10. heyabbott

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh, when I heard that straight talk express bullshit, all I could ever think of was McCain selling himself to Charles Keating decades before because he had wanted to be president then. When the cronyism with Keating unravelled, there was little straight talk then. Not when McCain's ass was on the line. The test of real character is always how you behave when you face adversity because of your own lapses in judgment or your own bad behavior. He really failed that test, but it turned into ancient history as time wore on, and few people even know today or give a shit.

Webster and Neutral Corner like this.
  12. heyabbott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.