1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

How many times are you going to call this dance?

By this point, Mueller has 99% of what he's going to get in terms of electronic files, with the exception of what is being gathered currently. The investigation is now interviewing people of interest and comparing their answers to what they already know. When the subject lies, they develop more information on them and interview them again, possibly under subpoena.

They don't announce what they have found. Lots of people would like to know, for various reasons, but this is an active DOJ investigation, and loose lips compromise prosecutions. I think that we can agree that there have been remarkably few leaks from Mueller, particularly in comparison to, say, the House Intelligence Committee. That's why DOJ resists releasing what it has until the indictments come down, because leaks let people know what is being looked at and as a result evidence can be destroyed, stories can be rehearsed, etc.

The "no evidence" regarding Trump or others in his circle will come out when the indictments are unsealed, same as it did with regard to the Russian GRU hackers did last Friday. Until then, holler no evidence all you please, but that does not mean it does not exist. Mueller's the real deal. He does not care about looking good for the press, he cares about getting his job done.

And he will.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

LOL.

I've clearly stated what I believe - you don't know what the IC has or doesn't have. You are making assumptions based on your own biases.

3. Neutral Corner

Impeachment proceedings have to begin in the House of Representatives. A Republican Congress where the House will rubber stamp any idiotic shit Trump wants and refuses to so much as speak out against him regarding even the worst of his excesses will deny, deny, deny, unless there are multiple levels of undeniable proof. Mueller knows that he only gets one shot at this, so he's going to hold his fire until he can drop a devastating barrage.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

NC, follow along for a second.

If Putin "has something on Trump" our IC and Mueller are either aware of this, and know what it is that Putin has on him, or they don't.

Given the scope of our intelligence gathering capabilities, and the focus of the investigation, it's almost impossible to believe that they would not have evidence of this by now.

Now, if they did have such evidence, it would be extremely irresponsible for them to hold it, allowing Donald Trump, a clearly illegitimate President, from remaining in office, and to hold private meetings with Putin, his puppet master.

They would have acted by now. Acting to stop Trump would be far more important than gaining some indictments against some Russians, or even -- theoretically -- against Don Jr. or Jared.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You do realize that your last point relies solely on public perception, and about 99.9 percent of the public has agreed that Trump looked, at best, "weak," right?

By your standard, which is naively low, he failed spectacularly.

6. TigerVols

OK on this, I have to admit you make a sane argument.

:confused:

7. Neutral Corner

Take it to the House and call for impeachment. This House?

8. TigerVols

This will never happened, my friend.

Yesterday's lost-in-the-shuffle story about the Russian femme fatale*'s deep ties to the GOP are all the proof you need to assume there will be no serious actions taken once Mueller releases his investigation reports.

*Yes, I'm being sexist as there's no indication the Russian spy used her femininity to her advantage.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There will be a new House of Representatives elected in four months and sworn in in six. Speculation on what that body will or won't do is very futile. Even if the Republicans keep control, it will be a new body with new people.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I shouldn’t have used pronouns.

Trump is trying to give Putin the room to act, without Putin looking weak.

11. Neutral Corner

If they had sufficient evidence of a true smoking gun which threatens the United States with imminent disaster, I don't doubt that they would come forward.

The problem is that this is not an episode of "24". Intelligence is about collecting thousands of puzzle pieces, and then piecing them together in an attempt to cut through the fog to find the truth, or pieces of the truth. They may know that Russia has something on Trump, but not exactly what, and even if they do know it, Putin is not going to leave a copy on a desk so that a copy can be made. That's not how it works IRL.

This is a Democracy. We have laws and procedures which must be obeyed, and if any misstep is made in doing so, Nunes or Rohrabacher or some other partisan dipshit will try to use it to disqualify the evidence.

This isn't "Trump is going to help plant a nuke under the Capital". This is a long term campaign of influence, designed to weaken the American people's trust in their government, to divide us from our longest allies (or "foes" as Trump put it). It is meant to put the people of this country at each other's throats, to fan the fires of partisanship to the point where even the most basic of facts can't be agreed on.

Look around you and tell me that isn't exactly what is happening.

Baron Scicluna and Inky_Wretch like this.
  12. TigerVols

Because that's what a US President should worry about days after his own DoJ proves that the tyrant's soldiers conducted an attack on American democracy?

garrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.