1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's just friends helping friends, though, right?

2. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Because it's not? Why would this need explanation? It's an opinion, that the warrant was defective and therefore not legal. Does it impeded any part of the investigation?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Since medicare and medicaid were ushered in in the 1960s, there has been nothing free about the market for health care in this country. So I don't know where you are living. We have had decades and decades of regulations that have made that market anything but free. In particular, when it came to medicare, it took the highest-cost aspects of health care, older people who account for vast majority of the costs, and tried to socialize those costs with predictable results. As people grew unhealthier, but medical advances allowed them to live longer, that drove up costs higher and higher for logical reasons, bad enough, but it was made much worse by the skewed incentives you get when people don't directly bear the cost of what they consume, and politicians are putting their thumbs on the scale of the market, which leads to rent seeking and corruption being the actual system you end up actually living with. Along the way, we got a patchwork of government tinkering in that market, year after year, that made it one of the most highly-regulated, if not the most highly-regulated, market there is. You aren't living in the same place I grew up if you have ever experienced a free market for health care in this country. What we have actually had, at least during my lifetime, is a tangled mess of corruption and rent-seekers and middlemen that we all pay for, all sanctioned by government regulation, and it has driven up costs and provided mediocrity in many aspects of the health care system in return. Capitalism would be intolerant of high-cost providers, corruption and political rent seekers. What we have had my whole lifetime is a petri dish for it, and it has just gotten worse and worse with every year, as the politicians promising bullshit have destroyed that market more and more. And somehow with Obamacare, they managed to take the least free market there already was, and make it even more inefficient.

4. Neutral Corner

It doesn't. It does not rise to obstruction. It's just propaganda, intended to delegitimize the investigation in the eyes of the Trumpets.

That said, you and I both know that a Federal judge who approved a search warrant being served on the President's personal attorney, breaking the attorney-client privilege, was going to require a tall stack of iron clad evidence before he did so.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    franticscribe likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Ragu, when it comes to rising costs you can add in malpractice long protected by the AMA, malpractice suits that followed on after that model was broken, and all the tests and procedures ordered to cover the doctor's ass having to be paid for as well. The Doc I worked for always said that there was nothing that he feared more than sitting in a deposition while a lawyer asked, "So, Doctor, you were sure that the patient had X, and you turned out to be wrong and it cost your patient horribly. Why didn't you order Y test to be certain before treating him?".

The fee for service model adds incentives to do unnecessary and borderline necessary procedures as well.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Tough guy can't take tough question.

"Trump reportedly complained to his staff about having to face AP reporter Jonathan Lemire’s query about whether or not he still believed Putin’s denials about Russia’s election interference, and whether he would call out and condemn the interference in front of the Russian leader. Trump wanted to know why Lemire had been called on instead of a reporter who would ask him an easier question."

Trump Expected Pravda Questions at Putin Press Conference

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

JFC. If it was privileged, Cohen couldn't have turned it over, even if he flipped.

The privilege is Trump's not Cohen's. Only Trump could waive the privilege.

8. Neutral Corner

I'll give you that one.

Maybe he released as a "Hey, look over there!" distraction from his idiocy in Helsinki. ;) - cause that worked great.

So I guess Trump's lawyers just screwed the pooch when they didn't claim privilege?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Or, there's no there, there.

Which is what Peter Strzok texted to Lisa Page. The agents that interviewed Flynn didn't believe he lied. McCabe told Reince Priebus that there was nothing to it. Comey told Trump he wasn't the subject of the investigation.

Yet, we're still waiting for some smoking gun.

10. Neutral Corner

The Special Master deemed that recording was privileged. Why would Team Trump choose to release it? There had to be better ways to distract from Helsinki. Trying to get out in front of it? Nothing to get in front of if it was privileged. Makes no sense, because you can't look at yesterday and say it did no damage.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes there are. And a shitload of them are laundering money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.