1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Ahh ...but I did not say "word for word", instead I said "paragraph by paragraph." And I get the impression you may see this distinction as some sort of loophole. As if slightly altering the wording puts one in the clear. To illustrate, I'll copy an example YF cited earlier this morning (note, I'm crediting YF's work). Hudson said this:

Hudson: In order for people to indulge that discretionary demand, they must have discretionary income. In order to have discretionary income, they must produce something which carries enough value in the market to more than meet their basic needs.

Ragu said this:

Ragu: In order for people to indulge that discretionary demand, they need discretionary income. To get that discretionary income, they need to produce something that the market values enough to more than meet their basic needs.

You may've altered the wording, but it's still absurdly obvious where you swiped it from.

That's the same thing I recall you did with that NYT piece you swiped around a decade ago (which I wish I could link, but unfortunately that thread appears to have been deleted). The "paragraph by paragraph" structure of that piece and your post was shockingly identical, but within each paragraph you went in and changed a few words, as if you thought that alone was enough to throw us off the scent and absolve you of plagiarism accusations.

Sorry, but that's not how it works. It was still obscenely obvious where you'd swiped it from. Don't you think you should've given that source some credit, instead of pretending like all that shit sprung solely from the magnificent mind of Ragu?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Songbird likes this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I regularly plagiarize Ragu.

I have a friend who thinks I'm brilliant on all things economic because I regularly text him verbatim Ragu's posts from here.

It's my own long-con, but please don't hell him. My friend, that is.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

VERY long con....

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Bob Corker can EABAD, along with his fellow ineffectual GOP Senator, Jeff Flake.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I memorize portions of them so I can sound intelligent at family gatherings.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

For the record, I didn't accuse Ragu of plagiarizing the Wiki article.

I said that a guy with two credible accusations of plagiarism against him should be more careful than to share three anecdotes from Wiki, in the same order, using similar language.

And, while he's defended the one instance, saying he plagiarized his own work, I haven't heard a defense for the blog post I posted today, That is so similar, I can't imagine how it can be explained away -- and, in fact he didn't even try to.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

They had an ethics czar?

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I believe they were loans and were paid back. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Maybe the farmers will borrow the money and when their profits are geometrically or exponentially increased when we win The Great Trump Tariff Wars they can repay the taxpayers, with interest. That’s capitalism.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Well, why would he explain anything away when it's thrown out there by his own personal stalker?

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And that's just funny.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Your friends must be pissed that the market hasn't crashed yet.

Slacker, poindexter and YankeeFan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.