1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

The board has always had its share of nastiness—it's strangers on the Internet. But I feel like the partisan divide in America has really infected this place. Either that, or it's just time spent, familiarity breeding contempt, or the state of the business. I don't know. Your own evolution here, from "just a guy asking questions" to psychotic troll, and your obvious addiction to this site and its dramas, is a prime example. There is a group of pretty malevolent people here at the moment. It's small, but it's a constant unhappy presence. I used to feel like the board, despite our differences, was a real community. That's why the outings worked so well for those of us who went to them. Thirty or forty of us could get together and drink and have a good time, with, like, zero chance of something bad happening. Just an unlikely group of friends marauding through some barfy city for a couple of nights. Great. I don't feel like that's the case anymore. I've always seen this board as a microcosm of the world at large. That outlook gave me cause for optimism before. It doesn't now. For me the division here is symptomatic of a larger cultural divide that makes me sad, because I don't see a solution for it. I don't see it getting better.

Hope that explains.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I saw someone on TV a few weeks ago, or whenever it was, after he gave that interview to the Sun and undermined Theresa May on Brexit. The person was saying that everyone is busy trying to figure out what he was thinking or what message he was trying to send, but this person said everyone is giving him too much credit, and likely, he gave an interview to the Sun as a favor to Rupert Murdoch, didn't give any thought to what he was saying, and then was surprised by the reaction.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I seriously question whether Trump remembers what he said the day before yesterday except for the applause lines of his stock speech. I'm not going so far as to say he's in mental decline, but he sure lives in the now.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think the simplest explanation is probably the right one: He's that kind of dumb that makes him unaware that he's dumb, and he doesn't have the mental ability, curiosity, or patience to understand anything of substance.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Donald J. Trump is “scared to death” that the 2020 Presidential election will be decided by Americans, an aide to Trump has confirmed. ...

The aide said that the Americans, frustrated by Trump’s open hostility to the United States since taking office, will “stop at nothing” to achieve their ultimate goal: installing an agent of the U.S. in the Oval Office.

“It’s pretty clear what the Americans are up to,” the aide said. “They want a puppet who will do the bidding of the United States of America.”

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, a couple of things...

A. Your post was poorly worded, so I truly didn't understand the point you were trying to make.

2. The nastiness during the George W. Bush administration was insane, but since the board was largely lefties, led by their hero, Fenian, most folks here didn't recognize it.

iii. I'd invite you to look at some of your own posts, as well as Ragu's, for examples of nastiness.

#: A guy like Slacktide is a nasty, obnoxious troll, who likes to raise Doctorquant's "rate my professor" reviews, but you never called him out. But, you're a guy who admittedly went after Dick hard, to try and break him, so you probably don't notice stuff like that either.

*: Ragu was credibly accused of plagiarism on multiple occasions. Is that not a legitimate topic? Would anyone else get a pass for that. And, only after responding multiple times wit name calling, did he go with a "Joy Reid" apology, where he admitted he probably did plagiarize, but didn't remember it, and isn't the same person now anyhow.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

" I love the uneducated."

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

12. The Big Ragu