1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

It's weird that you never hear: "When the Russians approached us, we notified the FBI, the CIA, Homeland Security, the Avengers, because that's what an American would do when faced with Russians interfering in our election." I wonder why that didn't happen.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The Republicans are now so deep in bed with Trump they'll do anything to keep propping him up. The Johnny Bravo of politics, if you please.

3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

The problem is that it may very well have the unintended consequence of raising rents, and simply putting more money in the pockets of owners than renters. If the supply of rental properties is relatively inelastic--that is, higher prices do not encourage additional supply--there will be more money chasing after the same number of rentals. That would have the effect of increasing rents, potentially mooting the benefit of the tax credit and instead funneling this subsidy to property owners.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I agree with Mr. Snrub (Simpsons reference).
    This rent subsidy is a terrible idea.

It is such a terrible idea I think Trump will co-opt it. It is fantastic for landlords.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No, WE'RE the reason THEY had nuclear bombing drills, the reason THEY built concrete bunkers. To protect them from people like . . .

WE were building concrete bunkers in preparation for the inevitable RETALIATORY strike after we launched first (our citizens were told the opposite, of course).

From 1955-65 we had between 6 and 12 times more nuclear weapons than the USSR. And we were itching to use 'em.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But, paying Russians for information, through a law firm as a cutout is totally cool, right?

Look, just try to be consistent.

Don Jr. took one meeting with an acquaintance of his, wich turned out to be a bait and switch, where they were actually lobbied on the Magnitsky Act.

Nothing illegal happened, and, the Russians didn't propose anything illegal, or provide evidence that they were involved in something illegal, like email hacking.

So, what would interest the FBI about this meeting?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I get that. And Ms. Kamala's idea is not a very good one.

But I never hear the same argument applied to the tax breaks we use to incentivize developers and landlords.

Nor do I hear the people mocking Kamala criticizing a self-inflicted $12 billion soybean bailout to Cargill and ADM.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, since it's a tax credit, not a direct payment, I imagine it would do nothing for the woking poor, who have little to no tax burden.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums it up:

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Real wages have been flat for decades.

Rents have skyrocketed.

Now what?

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Co-sign.

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

To be clear: The only evidence that it "turned out to be a bait and switch, where they were actually lobbied on the Magnitsky Act," is the word of the known liars on the Trump Campaign. .... right?

And to recap:

1. We never met with Russians
    2. OK - some folks on the outside of the campaign met with Russians, but that was before they were on the campaign.
    3. OK - Junior met with Russians, but it was just about the Magnitsky Act
    4. OK - Junior met with Russians to get Hillary's emails, but it turns out the Russians didn't help us at all, and the President for sure didn't know this meeting was going to happen.

... What do you think the next version of the story will sound like, or are you saying, "OK - this time they're totally telling the truth"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.