1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It's amazingly embarrassing this person holds the position he does.

garrow likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's true enough - but if they run a Bush or McCain type candidate and beat Trump in the 2020 primary, the country comes out ahead. I'd take that over a second term of Trump in a heartbeat.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't think this is the greatest gotcha of all time. I think it's yet another perfect, beautiful example of how you routinely profess some higher understanding from the peak of Mount Douchemore but also reveal yourself to be incapable of a basic understanding of your first language IN THE SAME SENTENCE. It's like you've just finished giving a speech explaining to the rest of us how to use stairs and then you just throw yourself down them. It's fucking hilarious.

Fred siegle likes this.
  4. typefitter

I think if you asked Democrats to choose between McCain and Trump, and gave them only that choice, McCain would receive more than 90 percent of the vote. The problem is getting to that choice.

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

I’m not necessarily pro-stock buybacks—they probably do benefit executives at expense of shareholders—but this seems like...an odd critique, to say the least. I suppose they could have paid this money to workers instead, but one assumes that might make them less attractive investments—hurting their prospects for the future. That doesn’t sound good for employees either.

And what exactly do you suppose happens to the money investors get when their stock is bought back? They put it mattresses? Presumably they’re either purchasing goods and services, or investing it in other, more productive businesses instead. Is that a bad thing?

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The tax cut was sold to Joe Worker as something that would trickle down and help his paycheck. Damn little of it wound up there, and a very small percentage of that actually turned into increased wages.

Joe CEO's stock that increased in value didn't trickle down, it enriched him further.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Lawrence O'Donnell (who is a fantastic writer btw) has done the math on this.
    The fool's base is 23-24 percent of the country. And that has receded in the last few months.
    These rallies are naturally grotesque but they reflect the playing to a small sliver of the electorate.
    The 'base' is simply not growing enough or at all.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. typefitter

I actually have a weird soft spot for that song. It's the epitome of trying and failing but with your heart in the right place.

EDIT: Underrated line, lost in the magnet hype: "Magic everywhere in this bitch."

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Truman---->Trump
    Started Old Cold War---->Trying to end New Cold War

Couldn't resist. ;)

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Exactly. There were lots of fawning articles about one-time bonuses given out by the likes of Walmart, and how that was evidence that the plan was great and Trump had helped all Americans.

A more thorough examination of how that money was used shows very little of it went to employees, that most of it was used in very predictable ways. That’s what most of us expected and is perfectly defensible by the companies but shows much of what the administration was arguing was bullshit.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Agree with all of this. I know plenty of Trump voters. I don’t know any that don’t think he’s a lying asshole, and the most common answer I get when I press them about voting for someone they know sucks is “well, I couldn’t vote for Hillary.”

Despite that, Clinton damn near won.

I don’t necessarily trust those people in my circle to all vote against Trump unless Dems find a very centerist candidate. They’ll find new reasons they think they can’t vote for Booker or Warren or Harris or whoever. But it won’t take many of them to flip to change the outcome.

If everything runs its course and Democrats nominate someone sane, I think it’ll still be a nasty, close election, but a very tough one for Trump.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Slacker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.