1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I actually think @YankeeFan's recent absence, and the silence from Trump's usual defenders here, might mean that the worm has finally turned. Even they know he's impossible to defend at this point. Holy fuck, he's a bag of shit human.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Other than YF, I'm not sure there remain any board conservatives to see it.. This echo chamber is about ready to be sealed.

3. typefitter

It's amazing how often you make something the wrong people's fault. Your blame-assigning abilities suck.

Fred siegle likes this.
  4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I didn't assign blame in that post. It was an observation.

5. typefitter

The alleged echo chamber sealed itself?

6. typefitter

Remember the Punnett Square from high school biology?

So, here is the essential problem in American politics. If we put Smart and Dumb on one access, and Rich and Poor on the other, like so:

Smart Dumb

Rich

Poor

We can see the problem and also answer a question. I'm going to use a broad brush here, so don't @ me with your exceptions to the rules. Of course there are exceptions.

The Republicans have a pretty solid lock on Dumb, whether Rich or Poor (it's insane, but they do). Democrats have a lock on Smart and Poor. (I'm including the middle class under Poor, because there is no middle class anymore.) The reason the Republicans so often come out ahead is because there are more dumb people than smart people AND they get just enough votes from Smart, Rich people who keep their shameful ballot-box allegiances a secret but are greedy and selfish enough to put their money ahead of their hearts. They are also the ones who fuck up polling.

Ergo:

Smart Dumb

Rich R/D R

Poor D R

This is a board, or at least it was, for sports journalists. Even in its current incarnation, it uses writing as its only means of expression. Why does it lean so hard to the left? Because its makeup, by default, is Smart and Poor. Of course it's going to lean left. It's not an echo chamber because anybody made it that way. It's an echo chamber because of the demographics of the people who post here.

This is a place, generally speaking, for smart, literate, non-millionaires.

Smart, literate, non-millionaires are overwhelmingly liberal in their politics.

SJ.com is, therefore, overwhelmingly liberal.

garrow likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I’ve wondered about that, too. It’s why I don’t think the media should “boycott” or quit covering the klan revival meetings. One of these days, he’ll say that.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

A few Trumpists. Not sure about conservatives.

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Actually, I am a conservative. However, the brand of conservative politics I believe in and was raised on bares no resemblance to what is out there today. I can not and will not defend trump. Even when he “does good,” he finds a way to muck it up. And then his followers screw it up worse.

Example: the economy. It is doing great. It is a good thing. But trump pretends it is all him and lies about how good it is. Seriously, if trump had a message of, “the economy was doing well when I got into office, but I found some ways to kick it up a notch or two. And guess what I want to ensure it keeps going strong for all Americans. I want to work with both parties to keep it going” he would be loved. Instead, he does, “obama bad. Me good. Only me. They don’t want me to succeed. Cry for me.” It is ridiculous. It’s pathetic.

I wish I could point to when the GOP turned into the party of whiners. It became evident when Palin was elevated to the national stage on a platform of “liberals are picking on me and think I am stupid. Everyone get upset for me and give me money.” And now it is almost the entire platform of the party. It’s “we can’t be happy because liberals are out there mocking us so we must stop the liberals.”

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

^^^^^^One of the dumbest posts ever on this site ^^^^^
    (looking at you, @typefitter)

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, put it this way, you might scan through Michael Gee's history on this thread. He's repeatedly suggested that all Trump voters, or all conservatives, are racists or vile people with dark damaged souls, without allowing for the possibility of exception. And not a single person on the left ever calls him out for going over the top when he does that stuff. Instead he gathers likes.

I sometimes get the impression that, to the extent this board wants conservatives, it is not because they want a forum with varying political viewpoints and open debate, but instead only to have a designated "bad guy" to admonish, tell him what a horrible person he is, and serve as our surrogate punching bag for Trump.

So now we've a situation where posters are wondering why no conservatives are responding. Well, probably because they've left this inhospitable sandbox.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    expendable likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.