1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Hey, but he loves real Arizona patriots!

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This. Went from the "Straight Talk Express" to a manniquein for Karl Rove. Eight years of W. was enough.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

With all due respect, that is complete and utter bullshit on a number of levels:
    1) It didn't matter who McCain picked, he wasn't winning that election once the Obama train got rolling. Maybe in a different time he'd have had some crossover appeal, but he was a bug on the windshield in 2008.
    2) He took an extended nap through the last two months of the campaign. He might have been a great senator, but he was a terrible presidential candidate.
    3) McCain was every Democrat's favorite Republican from 2000-07, and from 2009-18. In 2008, he was just another evil Republican to them, planning to do evil Republican things, and they treated him accordingly. That everyone, including McCain, seemed to pretend that never happened -- and that he was hardly the only one it's happened to -- is what's led to the resentment from his own party.
    4) There were a lot of Republicans who didn't really want to vote for McCain. You really think there were scores of Democrats looking at his VP choice as the sole reason not to vote for him?

YankeeFan and SpeedTchr like this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I didn't say that he would win, just that he would have gotten more support. I have no doubt the Palin pick cost him. NC, for instance, was barely 14,000 votes. Indiana was under 20,000.

And considering he was 71 at the time, yeah I think his VP choice had a lot to do with how people voted, considering the line of succession if something happened.

Fred siegle likes this.
  6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

To: Fearless Leader
    Subject: McCain tweet

Here you go, Sir:

My deepest sympathies and respect go out to the family of
    Senator John McCain. Our hearts and prayers are with you!

Sir, as you recall, just Define, Copy & Paste the word stuff (above) into a tweet, then Send it. Remember, Sir, Define is when you color it yellow (your favorite part! Remember now?). And then Paste is when you put it in the big white box, Sir. Then just hit SEND, which also is spelled RETURN because, as we agreed, Jeff Sessions can't handle his job.

Thank you, Sir, and Good Luck!!!

p.s. Also, could you call Uncle Rudy this time if you need more help? It's Booze Night again at my house. :p

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Not a word about McCain himself.

OscarMadison, TigerVols and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Slacker

Back in 2000, when I still was a Republican, I thought McCain had a better shot than Dubya did. But, as I recall, McCain kept taking heat from the media for being a "loose cannon," and his campaign wilted as a result.

Was he smart, or was he dumb? Was that a temper, or did he have great spirit?

McCain might, or might not, have been a good president. But that "loose cannon" stuff in 2000 would be just a little ol' cap gun at a Trump rally today.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think McCain might have been a good president, too. He was just a really shitty candidate. Maybe in 2008 even he saw the Obama avalanche coming down the mountain and said, "Fuck it, I did my best," but he went pretty quickly from a guy I could get behind to, "Really? This is the best the Republicans can offer?"
    Those two election cycles show a far different treatment of him than the media darling he became over the last 10 years, though.

Fred siegle and Slacker like this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Fascinating to watch Trumpists deal with this story.

11. Slacker

McCain had aged too much by 2008, I thought. Just not sharp enough anymore to energize a campaign.

But he had guts and heart, all the way to the end, and Trump rarely looks worse than when he's trashing John McCain.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Slacker

My deepest sympathies and respect go out to the family of
    Senator John McCain. Our hearts and prayers are with you!

Except for the exclamation point.
    This ain't a fucking pep rally.

OscarMadison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.