1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That exclamation point says a lot. For Trumpists, this is a pep rally. It's like one of their klan meetings.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

View from my Vol Deplorables board:

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No doubt there. McCain was a tricky person to attack politically, because it inevitably got twisted into some sort of personal attack on a war hero. Once McCain was diagnosed with cancer, it only added to that. How can you possibly hate -- or even disagree with -- a war hero battling terminal cancer who is also generally respected by both parties? Why, you must be a monster!
    Trump isn't nearly a skilled enough politician or person to walk that fine line. He obviously doesn't like McCain (and I assume the dislike was mutual) so any effusive praise is going to ring hollow to everyone and be treated as such. And any mention of their political or personal animosity is going to be construed as dancing on McCain's grave. We'll probably see some of that narrative being framed once it comes time to fill McCain's seat.
    In all honesty, the tweet he sent out might be about the best thing he can do if he's able to leave it at that. A twisted version of, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Fred siegle and FileNotFound like this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree with your last point, but let's be clear. You didn't have to twist President Trump's words to say he made a personal attack on a war hero.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Helluva life of sacrifice and service. I disagreed with most of his positions, but he was more bipartisan than anyone we’ll see again anytime soon.

Not sure he could have won in 2008 under any circumstances. The headwinds were too strong.

I do wonder what might have been if he picked Lieberman instead of Palin. Might have made a difference. But I agree, his best chance was in 2000.

The “Arab” moment in the 2008 campaign is
    something we won’t see again soon either.

For some reason, the image I always associate with McCain is a picture shot from above, him looking up and pointing to a name on the Vietnam Memorial in DC.

Some of the stuff being said on twitter from current administration supporters is beyond vile. I knew what I’d see. Don’t know why I looked.

Fred siegle and OscarMadison like this.
  6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Good lord. I'm not entirely sure what's going on in my country, but I know something has seriously changed when the immediate response of Tennessee right wingers to news of the death of War Hero Republican "McFuck" is to do a high five.

I'm curious, are you as brazen with your pro-Russia views on the deplorables board as here? And, if so, what is the reaction?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was speaking generally. Trump obviously took it to that level in his typically blunt fashion, but McCain had become kind of bulletproof in recent years. Any criticism he received was quickly countered with something along the lines of, "How dare you! Don't you know he was a POW!?"

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Those weren't bone spurs, either.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I was away from that board for a long time (5+ years). When I finally returned, it said I have basically no posting privileges, although I can log in. I haven't even bothered to find out why. I don't really want to engage with these ugly people.

Stoney likes this.
  12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Please tell me you don’t agree with this garbage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.