1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

From President Obama's Facebook page:

"John McCain and I were members of different generations, came from completely different backgrounds, and competed at the highest level of politics. But we shared, for all our differences, a fidelity to something higher – the ideals for which generations of Americans and immigrants alike have fought, marched, and sacrificed. We saw our political battles, even, as a privilege, something noble, an opportunity to serve as stewards of those high ideals at home, and to advance them around the world. We saw this country as a place where anything is possible – and citizenship as our patriotic obligation to ensure it forever remains that way.

Few of us have been tested the way John once was, or required to show the kind of courage that he did. But all of us can aspire to the courage to put the greater good above our own. At John’s best, he showed us what that means. And for that, we are all in his debt. Michelle and I send our most heartfelt condolences to Cindy and their family."

Smallpotatoes and Fred siegle like this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No exclamation points. Sad!

HanSenSE, Sea Bass and garrow like this.
  4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

His concession speech was the best speech of his campaign. I thought that night, had he spoken like that throughout, and had he resisted the Republican machine better, including the terrible Palin pick, he might have won. He was one of those rare candidates who needed to stay more like himself to have any chance to become president.

It's kind of crazy to me that John McCain couldn't win an office that George W. Bush won twice and Trump now occupies.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    OscarMadison and Fred siegle like this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This woman just proved QYFW's TINMHITTMAL permanently wrong.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I know the Palin pick is what pushed me away from him. It was just such a concession to the crazy wing of the Republican party (which now seems to have taken over the party), and such a betrayal of the whole McCain "maverick" image as the guy who supposedly thought and acted independently without surrender to party politic pressure.

And, to me, what makes that choice even sadder is the fact that what he really wanted to do was go the complete opposite direction, cross party lines and choose Lieberman as his running mate: Conservative Ire Pushed McCain From Lieberman

Have to wonder how different things might be if he'd stuck to his guns there. If he'd chosen Lieberman, and IF he'd won (admittedly a big "if"), how much less divided might our now EXTREMELY divided country be if we'd been successfully led for eight years by a Presidency that ran on a bipartisan split ticket?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Inky_Wretch and Fred siegle like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

She was an awful pick, and he knew it. They felt like they needed to go young and female to counter Obama, rather than two old white guys with white hair. Maybe he was doomed either way. But I was sitting in a hotel lobby on the campaign, with a bunch of staffers, when the Katie Couric interview aired, and everybody knew something terrible had happened. There was serious talk about dumping her but then he would have seem indecisive. It was a first-rate political miscalculation. Historically bad. And, as it turns out, history changing.

Deep down, I suspect McCain felt like Trump was at least partly his fault. Imagine being someone like him, living with that.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What’s your favorite, personal story about your time with McCain that you like to tell over beers?

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There were not any misspellings. That's what surprised me.

11. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

I'd like to think I could and would have voted for McCain, I've voted for republicans before, (and I won't be voting for the criminal senator menendez in New Jersey this year, he'll probably win anyway). But the choice was him or Obama, and that was easy for me.
    On top of that they forced the idiot Palin on him, and that 100 percent settled it for me. Ironically, that move was designed to make the "crazy" faction of the Republican Party ok with McCain, but at the same time it doomed him with many democrats who might have voted for him.
    I think McCain knew he was going to lose and clinched it when he told that woman "he's a good man" , speaking about Obama.
    There were a lot of things I admired about McCain, and some things I didn't. But in the long run, RIP to "a good man".

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

She’s one of millions who do so every day.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.