1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louis CK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I get where the outrage of him performing again comes from. But considering the underlying issues that would lead to somebody to behave that way...you don't get better wallowing.

Being creative, productive and doing things you are good at help.

2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm discussing this. Not a reflection on you, PCLoadLetter, it's just the subject matter. There's a huge difference between riffing on inappropriate masturbation, masturbating inappropriately without involving anyone else, and cornering someone and making them watch you...pull your pud. Yes, I thought he had a stronger moral compass than that and I'm sure I wasn't alone.

If the movie was on the level of "Horace and Pete," it is a loss.

Songbird likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Horace and Pete's might be the best thing ever done within the context of mental health and the human condition.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This is one of the few times the market can truly dictate whether or not he gets to have a career again. He’s not some sleazebag CEO of a company that provides a product or service that many of us need or a star athlete getting signed to play for a team we root for. If you don’t like a comedian you can walk out, and if he shows up to do a set that wasn’t advertised you can walk out and ask for your money back. No need to screech and Bitch on social media. You can literally vote with your wallets.

Gator, playthrough and jr/shotglass like this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What has he done to atone? To make amends? To rehabilitate himself? To make restitution to others?

Redemption runs both ways.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, my understanding was that he did not make them watch anything. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Blocking the door is pretty much the same as making someone watch.

As is blackballing their career.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I don't think you can say "too soon" to his return. There's no prescribed absence from public life for something like this. What is another year or two going to change?

But I think you can say he handled his return the wrong way. First of all, he didn't announce it ahead of time. Those in attendance who weren't comfortable seeing him yet weren't given a choice. Also, he did nothing to address the elephant in the room or show contrition. I think that was a mistake and showed a lack of awareness on just how being back on stage could be viewed.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Except that he wasn't accused of doing either thing.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Louis C.K.'s Manager Admits Wrongdoing In Quieting The Comedian's Accusers | HuffPost

That message reached Goodman and Wolov, who took it as a warning from one of the most powerful managers in the industry to keep mum, and they avoided any projects attached to Becky going forward.

The sexual harassment allegations against Louis C.K., explained

when Gawker ran a blind item in 2012 that at the time was widely believed to be about C.K.:
    We've heard from several sources that this shameless funnyman whips [his penis] out at the most inopportune moments, often at times when his female companions have expressed no interest in watching him go at it. A representative example: At the Aspen Comedy Festival a few years ago, he invited a female comedy duo back to his hotel room. The two ladies gladly joined him, and offered him some weed. He turned it down, but asked if it would be OK if he took his dick out.

Thinking he was joking (that's exactly the kind of thing this guy would say), the women gave a facetious thumbs up. He wasn't joking. When he actually started jerking off in front of them, the ladies decided that wasn't their bag and made for the exit. But the comedian stood in front of the door, blocking their way with his body, until he was done.

In a twist, comic Doug Stanhope shared the blind item on Facebook claiming that it was about him; at least a few commenters disagreed.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

1. I don’t know what he’s done.

2. Since you’re asking, what do you think he should do?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

1. I don't either, which is part of the problem.

2. He doesn't get to walk out on stage unannounced just because he wants to. He needs to wait a little. And make amends.

Public announcement of his therapy. Public discussion of his rehab. Both in service of demonstrating to people this won't happen again.

He needs to help the women he's harmed. However that can be done.

If he worked as a cashier somewhere, masturbated in front of a coworker, got fired, and walked in 9 months later expecting to get his job back, what would we recommend he do?

OscarMadison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.