1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louis CK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Bill Cosby became a nonstarter in this instance when the jury handed down its verdict. Just like Jerry Sandusky, just like Larry Nassar. It's been well-established that there's no coming back for them.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can buy this.

Kind of like how someone like, say, Daniel Tosh probably shouldn’t surprise people by testing out his new abortion jokes.

3. What?

Ever!?

4. Aren’t surprise appearances SOP for stand ups to work out/test new material?

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If someone had heckled him, I think they would’ve been heckled out. It felt like there were a lot of aggressive men in the audience and very quiet women. It’s the kind of vibe that doesn’t allow for a dissenting voice. You’re just expected to be a good audience member. You’re considered a bad sport if you speak out.”

As someone who did comedy for a period of time, this shit pisses me off. If you want to "dissent," you don't heckle. You get up and leave and ask to get your money back. If you're in a group, you get the group to walk out. Heckling does nothing but make a room toxic and tense and, for a pro like C.K., doles out unneeded ammunition to be funnier. I understand your frustration for C.K., I do. But I'll bet he went on in the middle of the show, meaning there were at least four other comics who are going on after him. As a matter of fact, those guys got bumped so he could get on. It's not fair to poison a room for those guys who are just trying to work an act and grind out a living because you don't like one person.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah, but if your particular brand of comedy is as obscene as Tosh’s, it may not pay off to test it in front of an unsuspecting general audience.

7. jr/shotglass

I cannot stand Tosh. Turn the channel if he turns up. Now, Jeselnik ...

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Nearly two hours in front of an unsuspecting audience not just testing out new material, but having virtually no material at all. From Complex:

One brilliant moment that comes at the end of the album: When “Dice” says “This could take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour,” he then quickly blurts “Back! Get it?” You can almost hear the audience squinting to understand the joke. “Dice” just keeps going and going, becoming more manic as he does. “Hour! Back! Get it?” Then, after a few dizzying minutes, he looks out into the crowd and says: “You don't get this bit. Do you think I do?”

You understand, in that moment, that telling a joke and being funny are not the same thing at all. And it's that jewel that Rick saw clearly, buried in all the bullshit.

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think once you're caught in a sex scandal that involves masturbating in front of women without consent, your life doesn't have a lot of SOP anymore, and you can't really complain about it.

I say that as someone who think Louis CK is a comedic genius. I'd pay money to go see him tonight.

10. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

He’s at least in the discussion.

11. jr/shotglass

Comedy was born earlier than 2010.

12. Technically, so is Dane Cook...but we both know he aint.

You might be stretching CK’s talent a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.