1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louis CK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

It is very possible that CK thought it through and came to the conclusion that this was the right way to go about his return - not drawing too much attention to it beforehand so it didn't come across like he was trying to make it some big event or make money off of it. He may have thought this was the respectful way to go about getting on stage, and I would understand that logic behind that. I think it is shortsighted and generally incorrect, but I can at least understand the reasoning. Hopefully the reaction he's seeing is showing him his blind spots and he'll approach his next set better.

But again, the timing thing is such a pointless argument. Whether or not it is too early is entirely up to him and his audience, not some snark-peddler from collegehumor.com

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Also, I'm just going to say it: Carlin is overrated. His material does not stand the test of time. Guys like Pryor and Seinfeld have timeless bits that will always be funny. Carlin's "classic" bits pale in comparison.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

None of us can take the responsibility of deciding what's funny and what's entertaining. We need a Center at the university.

TyWebb likes this.
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Wait. Mitch McConnell was a comedian?

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I will say, I gagged a little when I saw Kevin Hart one spot ahead of Albert Brooks.

Hermes likes this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Bob Hope was one of those American institutions that no one should break down too much. He was Bob Hope. Whether he was technically funny wasn't the point. He was Bob Hope and he made even the smallest event seem like a gigantic deal.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hope was funny.

That's how he became an institution.

Here's a Kathy Griffin thread on CK.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Thank God we have defender of women, Kathy Griffin's take.

Here she is on Sarah Palin:

"She was so famous as Governor, you know, when John McCain picked her after meeting her for ten minutes. And, um, that must have been some blowjob."

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is the best thing about yankeefan, (and there are a couple posters who remind us constantly how lucky we are to have him still drop by): In a thread that isn't the politics board, he just hits you with these surprise takes that come completely out of left field. I mean, in a #metoo thread, he brings in a take defending Sarah Palin! Who would have ever figured that? Not me! And he does these completely random takes like this all of the time! #blessedtostillhavehim

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

“Someone makes me uncomfortable so I’m going to take one thing they said and pretend that invalidates everything else they’ve ever said.”

I am not of a fan of Kathy but if you can’t see her thread there for a serious and nuanced take, you’re going out of your way not to try.

I don’t really get the Louis CK hate associated his latest reappearance. My gut reaction is to get defensive for him. “What, is he supposed to disappear for the rest of his life? Are there rules on this somewhere I forgot to read? It sucks the industry and the nation haven’t always been fair to women but that, and the fact that he’s had success previously, means Louis CK has to atone for all of those sins?”

But, again, I admittedly don’t really get it, and snarky tweets by offended women don’t really do much to help me get it. This thread by Griffin actually helped. I’m not sure where I’m at now, but I understand her point better than I did before I started.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Can we not turn Kathy Fucking Griffin into the voice of reason on this issue?

Why would we care what she says? This has never been an issue she's been a leader on, and she's been crude and degrading towards women.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't care what she says.

*You* seek her out to find her stance about your heroes.

You do it on just about every thread on here. Almost without exception, in the non politics threads, you have the exact same modus operandi. I get it, it's you doing you. I just more laugh at the other posters who consider you a treasure who would be missed if you left and didn't return. Good lord, where would I ever find out about Kathy Griffin's take about Sarah Palin.

John B. Foster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.