1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nobody ever talks about how great the economy is!

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

“The problem is that this is not the message that those who profit from disparity want the public to hear. They attempt to silence voices of dissent in sports today just as they have throughout my lifetime and before. And that attempt is always disguised as an appeal to patriotism. They use the flag the way a magician uses a cape: to misdirect the audience from the manipulation. Poof! No racism here, folks.”

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: what sports have taught me about race in America

I love sports. I love to see an athlete perform a physical feat so amazing that I marvel at what we are capable of. I love to see teams work together, to act selflessly in pursuit of a greater goal than individual glory. Sports energizes me and makes me hopeful about humanity.

But I am even more energized and hopeful when I see those same athletes speak out against injustices because I know that in doing so, they are risking the careers that they spent their whole lives working towards. Their willingness to risk everything in order to give voice to the powerless – despite all efforts to silence them – makes me proud as an athlete and as an American. As Mark Twain once said, “[T]rue patriotism, the only rational patriotism, is loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it.” Athletes who speak out are proclaiming their loyalty to a constitution that demands equality and inclusiveness, not to the government officials who try to undermine those ideals by silencing its critics.

3. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

China Hacked Clinton's Private Email Server: Daily Caller

So it was the Chinese all the time. Wonder how much classified information they obtained from her. Maybe we can get the deleted emails from them.

Do you think it's interesting that during this same time period China was able to locate 30 US spies inside China and executed them?

China reads all of the emails from the head of the State Department - cover gets blown for 30 CIA spies. Probably just a coincidence. Either that or it's Trump's fault.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I learned so much from his first book "Giant Steps" and he continues to educate with this well stated piece. Thank you KAJ (even though you were a Laker!)

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

zero hedge

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That story is news to the FBI, which is saying it has found no evidence of such a breach.

FBI contradicts Trump claim that China hacked Clinton’s private email server

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

More golf, less guns.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the story with anonymous sources that Trump was quoting just before he said to never believe a story with anonymous sources.

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

10. Neutral Corner

Trump Freezes Pay Raise For Federal Employees

"President Trump on Thursday announced that he will not give civilian federal employees a pay raise, saying in a letter: “We must maintain efforts to put our nation on a fiscally sustainable course.”

11. Neutral Corner

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fake news. Story is based upon anonymous sources and your hero said that any story with anonymous sources were lies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.