1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Thank you, my ray of sunshine, my bolt of the warmest light.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Happy Labor Day

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I wonder if the resident Trumpist(s) can provide us evidence drawn from the last 3-4 months that indicates the POTUS is rational? Sane? Is there ANYTHING at all that he's done in the most recent weeks that you could point to as being absolutely normal?

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

John Kerry, another decorated soldier for the republican draft dodgers to ridicule, again. trump Ryan McConnell Gingrich Hannity Pense. Not a days worth of combat between them. Not a days’ sacrifice or service

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I've gone to this about 8 of the past 10 years and it's hardly in danger of sinking. Tickets sell out in a day or two. Spendy tickets (and, having just checked out the prices for this year's event they've actually gone up by about 20 to 30 bucks for each event, which sucks). It's an awesome event. I have no desire to see Bannon but I don't care he's going to be interviewed. To me, having him interviewed in public -- again, by one of the great journalists of our time, not to mention an outspoken critic of the administration -- isn't somehow more harmful than knowing he was interviewed in private for a written profile. Either way his views are being disseminated. And no he doesn't have Miller's influence now but with the way he's traipsing around the globe trying to influence elections in different countries, he's still newsworthy. And I think there's value in having someone like Remnick interview him and challenge him. I don't think Remnick will simply sit there while Bannon recites the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. To me, a 90-minute interview on a stage isn't normalizing him anymore than the magazine's lengthy profile about his Hollywood career did.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I like candidates who capture more than 46.1 percent of the vote.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nope. You don't give fascism a platform on the New Yorker brand. Any blog with a readership in triple digits could get an interview with Bannon. He ain't shy. All the magazine has done is hurt itself with its core audience and even its contributors. They will be taking the heat for this in their public and private lives as well.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Exactly. So Remnick is going to challenge him? On things he’s been challenged on dozens of times before? Everyone knows what Steve Bannon thinks. There’s no reason to push him on things he’s already been pushed on again and again to no discernible effect.

9. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

@typefitter - I think you were better off having him on ignore. Anyone who defends anything Trump, is a piece of shit.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Fred siegle and BadgerBeer like this.
  10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

But that's what I'm wondering, what is the difference between this and any written word on him that's appeared in the magazine, which also gives him the New Yorker platform?

Steve Bannon | The New Yorker

If there should never be a word written or spoken about him, if he should never be interviewed for any type of piece, then okay. But if it is okay to write stories about him -- and interview him for those -- and if it's okay to write books about him, and interview him for those books, then what is the difference with this? If it's wrong for a journalistic entity to benefit from giving air to Bannon's views, should Green give back his book advance? He watched the Golden Globes with Bannon this year for the paperback edition, which Remnick wrote about. Should Green not have done that?

And there are New Yorker writers like Kathryn Schultz who are as upset about this as anyone, so I know I'm in the minority here. But having seen Remnick at these things numerous times over the past decade, albeit usually with people he admires or agrees with, there is a journalistic atmosphere to the setting. I just don't see why seeing someone interviewed onstage is so different than knowing they're being interviewed in their office or at their kitchen table.

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

54 ,667

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Nah, don't ignore him. The Trumpists want you to lie down and hide. Fuck that horseshit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.