1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

We won't see any substantial progress until after the midterms, assuming the Democrats can actually seize control.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Something I didn't think about until now.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Yes. After the midterms. Before 2020.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The 25th Amendment, practically speaking, is best used if POTUS has a stroke or is otherwise unconscious or unable to speak rather than in instances of what Trump's doing now. (Still amazes me that Woodrow Wilson's wife ran the government for six months in one stretch and nobody knew anything about it. Even more amazing that it took the assassination of yet another president to codify the line of succession.) If he's functioning physically, he'll push back on the letters and the back and forth will continue until it goes to the Congress, in which both chambers -- not just the House -- have to vote for expulsion by 2/3 vote.

5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

We all know this will not happen as long as Republicans run the show. Party over country.

6. tapintoamerica

Yes. I'm just speaking theoretically. In practice, the Trumpist party, for its exclusive claims of patriotism, is proudly engaged in a conspiracy to preserve, protect and defend the indefensible actions and morals of an unqualified president and to do so at the expense of the country they claim to love.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My guess is Haley.

Consider the evidence:
    • The writer is almost definitely a member of the cabinet
    • They're also an appointee of the President (... "many Trump appointees have vowed to do what WE can" ...)
    • The author spoke in greatest detail about the two-track presidency on foreign policy
    • The author spoke about how the rest of the administration engages the rest of the world as peers and values allies
    • The author spoke in detail about how others forced the President to be tougher on Russia
    • Haley bristled back in April when the President suggested she was "confused" about sanctions against Russia
    • The author specifically mentions "reckless decisions that have to be walked back," perhaps such as the President's statements when he said Haley was confused about Russia sanctions
    • She's both a woman and a minority, so I'm sure he's offended her privately, through policy, or both
    • She's young enough and charismatic enough to still have political ambition (unlike Mattis or Kelly, for instance, who could have put their names on this, pissed on the Resolute Desk and still walked away secure in their career legacies as American heroes).
    I'd put money on Haley.

Donny in his element and Hermes like this.
  8. tapintoamerica

Saw a tweet in which Bill Kristol said he had just gotten off the phone with The Author, who, he implied, works at the White House every day and will be seeing everybody there tomorrow. This, if true, would seem to rule out Haley, who is based in NYC, right?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or the president’s daughter is kidnapped.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

He since said it was a joke tweet.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Who has the most to gain?
    Who is bulletproof if outed?
    Who uses “lodestar?”
    Who would be stunned by Trump’s “amorality?”

Pence wrote it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.