1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No way.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

In fifth-dimensional chess, you can’t just focus on the board (nor be distracted by the beautiful balloon).

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’d be stunned if it were Pence. I could see him knowing and even assenting to it. But he didn’t write it.

It’s somebody who thinks they’re very, very clever, I know that.

On a very basic level, that op-ed, published in the NYT no less, is telling Trump voters “everything you voted for won’t happen unless we want it to.” It’s clearest statement yet that American people aren’t in charge of anything in politics; it’s a handful of people, in Washington, who you’ve never met, underwritten by the 1% and thinktanks, who run the show.

And I am glad, in the case of Trump, they’re running the show. I do not want Trump to blow up our foreign relations. Yet I am struck by how this must seem to Trump voters. When Trump says swamp and deep state, isn’t this exhibit A? Isn’t the phrase “steady state” just the typical rhetorical “I know better than you” political bullshit? Isn’t it a little disgusting to take credit for all the “good” things and none of the bad that’s happened under Trump, call yourself “the resistance” and get to do so anonymously by virtue of the NYT’s agreement?

Doesn’t this op-ed embolden the very worst instincts on the right?

These feel like dangerous times.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mike Lee is pretty good.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's already been suggested on teh Twitterez he's channeling his inner Kaep.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I wish. But no way. It’s too good for it to bePence. Trump would trash him but he cant fire him. The House would impeach him for being a backstabbing asshole. The Seante might not convict him. But they would because Congress on Majority vote gets to pick the newVP. Lindsey Graham. They then impeach trump and Graham becomes president.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

John Kennedy is amusing to watch and listen to.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You're a proven liar. #FakeNewsMan

Provide evidence of your claims or remain a liar.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

These Kavanaugh hearings are bananas. Between procedural bickering, Booker telling Cornyn to "bring it" and the protesters getting dragged out kicking and screaming, it's been a pretty wild morning.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We probably shouldn't have made the worst man in America president.

Jssst21, lakefront, garrow and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.