1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louis CK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He's going to ruin a bunch of MNF games!?!

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

"The PC police are not ruining comedy. It is a challenging time to be making jokes. You either accept the challenge or retreat into a past that was easier for you."

I'm guessing there are a lot of people who would follow Louis CK into the past.

4. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I like Andy Richter, but that thread is a bit of an eye roll. For one, him saying that Louis CK could be brilliant in his heyday is a bit like John Wall saying that Isiah Thomas was pretty good. I think the reaction to his Parkland material says more about the current state of his career than it suggests any conscious shift toward Trump-branded comedy. There wouldn't be near the outcry if it was, say, Bill Burr telling this joke.

I get that Louis CK is toxic now and that he deserves all of the backlash that will come his way until the day he dies for his behavior. But I'd wager that the 'How dare he attack the Parkland kids?!' is a facade for 'That pervert needs to stay the fuck away!'

More to Richter's larger point, I think he's right about how comedy evolves. But I think it's dangerous to start telling comedians that certain subjects or jokes are too taboo or dark. I also think that some of this "evolved" thinking on the part of guys like Andy Richter or Judd Apatow is a way to get out in front of projects and material in their past that might be met with outrage if released today. I like both of those guys a lot, and I applaud the thoughtfulness with which they approach their craft. But, it all calls to mind Bill Maher's bit a couple of months back that asked 'When did liberals become the ones with the sticks up their asses?'

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. Bill Maher is a fucking asshole.
    2. If having revealed himself as a fucked up person with some disgusting habits, it would've been nice if Louis CK's return to comedy could've shown some ability to make fun of himself and his demons. I saw Richard Pryor do that. But that's comparing genius to talent, which is not fair.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. heyabbott

Louis wasn’t funny about Parkland or even first (or second of third). He’s just regurgitating Anne Coulter, Ingraham, Limbaugh and Hannity. And a host of other wannabe rightwing podcast/bloggers/AM Radio talkers. Nothing he said was funny

Funny is saying that the shooting at the GOP baseball practice was the only hit Steve Scalise caught all season.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

Coming from the guy who devotes 40% of his posts to calling Melania Trump a slut and just today made a joke about Lindsey Graham being a closet homosexual that means a lot.

8. heyabbott

Not a slut, a whore. I like sluts and I respect sex workers, she’s a whore in the colloquial and pejorative sense. Graham is a hypocritical evanagelical closeted homosexual as is Bitchy Mitchy McConnell.

And that Steve Scalise finally caught something on the baseball field is funny.

As for Louis, he’s a jerkoff who should just beat it into obscurity

OscarMadison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.