1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sears

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 8, 2019.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Exclusive: Sears to ask bankruptcy judge to liquidate - sources | Reuters

Sears has a hearing in bankruptcy court this morning, and Reuters is reporting they are going to tell the judge they are ready to liquidate and close their doors.

Eddie Lampert had made one last bid to keep it afloat, but the company deemed the financing package he put together too small.

It will be the end after 126 years. It is going to put close to 70,000 people out of work. I feel sad, but we were talking about it the other day, and I can't remember the last time I stepped foot in a Sears, so I guess it really had gone the way of the buggy whip.

Still.

It isn't lost on people that it coincides with Amazon becoming the most valuable publicly-traded company in the world yesterday, after it surpassed Microsoft.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Purchased my washer/dryer there in 2011. Had an alignment done around 2013. That was my last visit.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Die Hard.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The Sears mall anchor in my town has been closed for, well, I don’t know how many years. That whole big-ass part of the parking lot is always empty, even after thanksgiving.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't know.

The Eddie Lambert thing is like Munchausen by proxy. The caregiver who keeps you sick then kills you.

wicked likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He is a numbnuts of the first order. One with a lot of money, but still a numbnuts. What blows me away, is that if you go back 15 years ago, or so, people were anointing him a young Warren Buffett.

Interesting piece of numbnuts trivia. Apparently they come in pairs. Lampert's college roommate was Steve Mnuchin. Mnuchin had a lot of money in ESL Investments. No idea if he divested himself when he became treasury secretary. He was on the board of directors of Sears, I believe.

7. Vombatus

I’ve got a fucking battery core to return for a refund. Shit.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I appreciate Sharper Objects because it brought Munchausen by proxy into the mainstream.

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

When we added onto our house last year, we bought all of our appliances at Sears. I felt some kind of connection to it because I still felt that was where you go to get your appliances. And so far, we've been very happy with them and they were one of the best prices.

Not six months later, that store is closed. RIP.

10. Vombatus

Going through the annual Sears Christmas Catalog and making a wish list was a chunk of my childhood.

RIP

Chef2 likes this.
  11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Does that mean I can stop making payments on the washer and dryer we bought with our Sears charge card last summer?

Vombatus likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is Lampert a numbnuts for thinking he could save Sears, or for failing to save Sears?

Draft saved Draft deleted