1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sears

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 8, 2019.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Sears might have gone down, employees might have lost their jobs, and I don't know how ESL investors have done in the last few years, that information is kept under wraps for non investors. But I guaran-damn-tee you that Eddie Lampert made money off of the Sears deal.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I would bet with certainty that he didn't and that his net worth took a big hit. ESL Investments is largely comprised of his own money, especially with almost everyone else having pulled their money, and it hasn't done well. Plus, he was Sears' biggest creditor. Even if he comes out relatively well on that debt, he is looking at a haircut. Not sure what his net worth was at its peak or what it is today, but this hasn't been a good thing for him personally. He has taken a big hit...and that is putting aside the reputational hit, which is a whole other story.

poindexter likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I thought that was The Sixth Sense.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Embarrassing pop culture blind spot: I've never seen The Sixth Sense.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think 'Sharp Objects' is the name of the series.

'Sharper Image,' however, is another good example of a national retail chain bustout by heartless and/or clueless investors.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm the last person to regularly go to Sears.

I like to try things on at Lands' End, and take advantage of free in-store catalog ordering/shipping for other colors and sizes. My car is still under warranty but I use the auto center for crisis repairs, like a recent flat tire. (I went there for all the maintenance when my other cars were out of warranty, after the truly local mechanic moved on.) I've bought gifts and household stuff within the past year.

But I also prefer to buy at a store than a website.

My local mall has yet to be seriously impacted by the pressures at others. A small-town mall my family had visited since it opened is down to a Target and movie theatre as the remaining anchors, with a handful of other surviving stores. But this one is urban and busy.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

But have you seen dead people?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, Sharper Image stores would be thriving if not for heartless investors?

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Like I said, I haven't been in a Sears since lord knows when. Last time may have only been for a quick visit after returning a few VHS tapes to Blockbuster. :) I had been reading about how there were a lot of empty shelves lately at the typical store. Were you finding the pickings getting slimmer?

11. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

We bought a bed frame from Sears 3 or 4 years ago. That's the last time we were in that store, which has closed. The only KMart left in our area is near us and is a fucking dump. We do go there because we get their rewards points and have saved some money.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I kid, I’ll keep paying. But one reason I bought appliances and tires at Sears is because they offer no percent financing. It’s obviously much easier to pay off large purchases over 18 months. Just make sure you do that or back interest charges are tacked on.

Draft saved Draft deleted