1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sears

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yes.

murphyc and Vombatus like this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Vombatus likes this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It's kinda crazy that Sears had the Amazon model down about 100 years ago and never thought to replicate it online.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There was a CBS Sunday Morning piece on Sears a month or two ago, and in the early internet stage (dial up) they had an online purchase program through like Compuserve, but never followed up with it.

Hermes likes this.
  5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Lampert is an idiot. Delusional. Go back 10 years in an era when Target and Walmart were making record capital expenditures to improve store quality and that yahoo is cutting everything to the bone while touting something called “‘my gofer” and a poorly run rewards membership.

That’s what killed the company, not Amazon and not the marching of time. Lampert himself and his refusal to hire retail people to run a retail operation. You can’t run retail like a hedge fund. Sounds an awful lot like the way some suits run their newspapers.

Few examples of his lunacy here
    At Sears, Eddie Lampert's Warring Divisions Model Adds to the Troubles

Eddie Lampert Used Fake Name To Argue With Employees On Sears' Internal Social Network

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Court gives Sears new life, allows Chairman Eddie Lampert another chance to save retailer

Sounds like the court is giving Lampert more time on his bid to buy the company out of bankruptcy. He has to put up $125 million as a deposit by 4 pm tomorrow. The court originally rejected his bid because it didn't cover bankruptcy costs. He said that the bankruptcy had gotten too costly. It sounds like they will hold an auction later this month, and then compare Lampert's bid to whatever they can get to liquidate. If his bid is better, Sears may end up surviving, although who knows in what form.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The last purchase I made at a Sears was a digital camera five or so years ago. Don't know when the last time I used it was. Also - from what I've read the Lampert idea I think was more based on the real estate holdings than turning the company around.
    Toughskins, Craftsman, Kenmore - I'll blame the Kardashians.

Sears’ Kardashian Kollection is Officially No More

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That story hit home in my neck of the woods. But Marsh would have gone under on its own eventually, with Don Marsh spending lavishly on himself and so many of the stores being terrible. I could have cried when we moved from Florida (and all those glorious, clean Publixes) and I went to the local Marsh for the first time. Disgusting.

As for Sears ... loved me some Craftsman tools.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I always considered it a good Christmas season when I DIDN'T have to go shop at Sears. Never liked the place. It was always an old, dreary place.
    The one in my hometown closed a few years ago, but the building was tabbed a historical landmark so they can't tear it down.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I am surprised someone hasn't come up with a way to utilize all of the empty big box stores and grocery stores that litter America. I realize malls themselves are in trouble - but turn them in to fitness clubs, or make them mini-malls for small business owners, or indoor crafts markets...

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Craftsman tools now at Lowe's, where the employees seem to be trained to walk around and ignore you as much as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted