1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

The Friday morning dump is going to be epic.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Maybe that compliment was a complement to other compliments he received yesterday?

HC likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This will seem esoteric to a lot of people. But it is the kind of thing people should be thinking about, because it is a huge risk to all of us, in my opinion.

The Fed is technically insolvent. Should anybody care?

The Federal Reserve is insolvent on a mark to market basis. This has been apparent to anyone who was actually watching, since they got into the asset buying business with their quantitative easing. Its unrealized losses are very likely to just get bigger, as they intend to hold the bonds they bought to maturity, and yields will likely rise significantly from their suppressed levels in the future.

They don't report this, because they aren't required to do mark to market accounting the way any other bank would (and people would lose confidence in that bank if it had a similar balance sheet).

There are a million reasons why the Fed is unique, not like a garden-variety 1980s savings and loan (i.e. What if the interest they have to pay on deposits gets to be much greater than the near zero yields on the 30-year treasuries they loaded up on to keep yields suppressed?). The main reason is that they can paper over their scheme by creating endless monetary inflation -- essentially printing more money to pay off their debts with more and more worthless paper. And this is what they do. People aren't focused on the negative effects of that, which is one thing. But they certainly aren't focused on what the guy in the link is pointing out, which is essentially how tenuous they have made our banking system. It has always relied on blind confidence. With that massive balance sheet of bonds they overpaid for, they tested that confidence in ways they never have. This guy is pointing out that the emperor has no clothes. Whether everyone realizes that at some point is the unanswered question. That would not be a good thing for the country.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not sure there's a valid 'both sides' argument on the shutdown.

Having failed to make a deal with my loan officer, if I go into the bank and take hostages, should I then expect the bank to pay off my mortgage?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Last night and this morning have already proven (if it needed proving) that Trump's base of non-college educated white males can't be moved. I've had more than one person crowing about Trump canceling the plane. "He told her she wasn't going on vacation" kind of things. When I hit them with what I like to call the whole story, they look at me like I'm crazy.

TowelWaver and Baron Scicluna like this.
  6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

both sides!

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Fox and friends hasn’t touched the buzz feed story. Not even on the scroll. No wonder he hasn’t tweeted anything.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

ALERT ALERT ALERT

More brown people coming to get us!!

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.