1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Stoney likes this.
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

“Media whore” is a word for any activist who champions causes the speaker doesn’t like. I can see why native issues are problematic for the gateway pundit crowd.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Well, for one, I assume lots of government record offices are closed. Whether due to the holiday or the shutdown.

And I'm not defending this guy, or defending the stories I've seen so far.

But up until this weekend, there wasn't much reason to question his self-identification.

Now there is.

So yes, I expect there to be some sort of story this week that will report out his service record, if one exists, and his standing as an "Omaha elder."

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. RickStain

And it’s populated by news stories going back a lot longer. I had heard of him before. He isn’t joe the plumber, despite what the talking points you had handed to you told you to say.

5. Songbird

I'm simply scouring the web and conferring with my sources like any longtime reporter would do.

I think that definitely would elevate me into a senior position at the NYT, WaPo, and CNN. Maybe even Fox.

6. RickStain

No, you’re parroting talking points fed to you by people with an interest in tearing down the media because it threatens their power grab.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

There are 22 references on his Wikipedia page. 16 of them are to articles about the incident with the MAGAs.

8. RickStain

Is 16 a lower number than 22?

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

"populated by news stories going back a lot longer"

10. Songbird

Nathan Phillips (activist) - Wikipedia

Vietnam Veteran
    Phillips served in the U.S. military during the Vietnam War[1][6] in the Marine Corps[7] as a Recon Ranger. [8]

8 is from a Vogue.com story:

He raised a wooden staff adorned with nine eagle feathers in the air as he addressed his security team, volunteers who had stepped back into familiar roles guarding gates at camp. They were outfitted in head-to-toe camouflage, masked by bandanas printed with the word Resist, and bearing walkie-talkies. “I have a relative here who said he’d lead the way and scout ahead for us,” Phillips continued, his voice breaking. “You know, I’m from Vietnam times. I’m what they call a recon ranger. That was my role. So I thank you for taking that point position for me.”​

But there is no verification of him being a "recon ranger" ... then again, it's Vogue, what kind of reporting would you expect?

As for "elder" there is no Wikipedia explanation for why that title was conferred upon him.

Az is positive the respected outlets will cover these talking points this week even though he's been profiled for 19 years.

11. RickStain

Exactly.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

19 years?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.