1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If the kids weren't wearing MAGA hats, I'm not even sure this qualifies as news.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

It's OK to admit you hadn't actually read the man's shiny, new Wikipedia page. Forfeiting that small point doesn't mean you have to forfeit the larger one you are trying to make.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But can you even check his military career (beyond Wikipedia) with the government because of the shutdown?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Probably not.

But it's a boom time for symbols and metaphors.

We're also stuck in a national argument over social media and "fake" news.

So every little news event like this becomes a Rorschach blot, a kind of cultural loyalty test.

As many times as you watch the videos, and from any number of angles, it's all Rashomon in the end.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You might even be able to work for the Plain Dealer.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's right, 19 years.

In 2000, the Omaha World-Herald wrote a profile on Phillips, who at the time was conducting a vigil with his family for the entire month of November on the National Mall.

Vincent Schilling reported Saturday on Indian Country Today that Phillips, a Vietnam veteran, was singing the "American Indian Movement Song." The boys are students of Covington Catholic High School, a private all-boys school in northern Kentucky outside Cincinnati, who were in Washington for the March for Life.

https://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/omaha-tribe-member-nathan-phillips-in-spotlight-in-face-of/article_475ee455-cf4c-510a-a9a1-2d29b25eb0f2.html

You needn't ask if that reference to "Vietnam veteran" was fact-checked.

He interloped into an EMU party a few years ago much like he interloped into what was nothing more than SJ'ing the other day between Catholic boys and Black Israelites. He craves media attention and inserts himself into any spotlight.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That I don't know.

I don't know the specifics of calling up military service records. If it's automated, or by written request only.

I don't know if there's some sort of DoD skeleton staff on duty.

Guess we'll find out.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'd agree that if the Omaha paper wrote a "profile" of this fella 19 years ago, it should have fact-checked that.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It shouldn't qualify as news even with the hats. But you're right that it would't be without them.

This story, in reality, is ALL about the hats.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If I hadn’t read it, how did I know that it included older articles?

Nice effort though

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

You may want to check it again for all of those older "articles."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.