1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

KFC/Big Mac farts must clean out their sinuses. I wouldn't want to stand downwind of that fatfuck either.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Using the word "blackface" in the hed is my question and yes, it does speak to, well, at least the merest intent. The least amount of intent possible.

I mean, there's knowing better and there's using the word "blackface" to describe what the kid did. This is where the definitions of what constitute racism become so broad and all-encompassing that they cease to have meaning.

3. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Never OK.

Especially not when you paint the white minstrel lines around the eyes and mouth.

The fact that no adult in that gym pulled those kids out and told them to wash their faces off is damning of that school's entire culture.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Pretending to be ignorant is half the fun. "Oh, is blackface offensive? We didn't realize, how dare you call us racist." Then go back and high-five.

5. SoloFlyer

Look at the picture (it's legit, by the way - I found the same image on a Kentucky high school preps forum from back in 2015).

The idiots painted white minstrel lines around their eyes and mouths.

This isn't a couple of kids making a dumb decision to slather their whole bodies in black paint, not realizing the stigma and history. They purposefully added white lines to make themselves look like that. They knew what they were doing.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You realize the reason for that was not because of race, right? The school was having a blackout theme night, just like these many color theme nights that have become so popular in college and high school basketball, where the students are told to all wear entirely one color (you notice everybody is dressed in all black), at those events it's VERY common for some students to paint their faces and bodies in the color, too.

It's fair to say adult supervisors should've seen the potential problem and stepped in, but it's not fair to assume that makes the kid racist, when the intent was not about race. But please keep trying to demonize kids based on assumptions that defy common sense.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

White kids who paint their face in blackface and add the minstrel lips and eyes know exactly what they're doing. They should reap the consequences.

HanSenSE and BadgerBeer like this.
  8. RickStain

God, do you people really think everyone is so dumb as to buy this? Why the minstrel lines?

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm amazed we can see anyone behind him, you know, given that he weighs 400 pounds and shit.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. RickStain

The intent was "tee hee, look at what we can get away with, so long as we put up the thinnest veneer of plausible deniability, because we're from rich white families and power will always shill for us."

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Tough, but fair.

What you're leaving out is the strata of disdain among whites. For example, I went to an all-white-but-for-the-3-scholarship-athlete-blacks college prep school that was 100+ years old, and we were bred to look down upon the kids at the dozen or so private schools that sprang up in the year or two after forced busing in Nashville...while we were in turn looked down upon by the all-white, all-male or all-female prep schools that cost twice as much as ours.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Donny in his element likes this.
  12. SoloFlyer

This might be the worst take I've seen.

This isn't a couple kids slapping black paint on themselves without thinking.

THEY DREW THE GODDAMN WHITE LINES AROUND THEIR LIPS AND EYES!

It's the textbook example of blackface. They took the time and effort to make themselves look like something right out of a minstrel show. If it was just all black, I could maybe - MAYBE - see this as just as a bad idea with no ill intent. But when add the little details to your costume, it's pretty fucking thought out.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.