1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ya got me. I don't do the face painting thingy, so I don't know what the protocol is. When I'm unsure of things, I tend to say, "I don't know."

I do know, however, that Arizona State fans did the same thing for their "blackout" games. Apparently it drew a backlash (being on TV and all). I doubt Covington felt the same backlash, because nobody gave a fuck . . . until two days ago.

[​IMG]

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps it seemed like nobody gave a fuck before two days ago because far fewer people had seen what the Covington students did until that time.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course. That's my point. But it's ridiculous to think the blackface-at-blackout-sporting-events-schtick is unique to this high school, just because you so desperately want it to fit the narrative of "private school/affluent white racist assholes."

Arizona State fans did it. People bitched. The school responded with a request for fans not to do it next time. Even if there was no offense intended. Just don't do it. Now, given the attention of this weekend, Covington likely will follow suit.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Not an invalid position.

heyabbott likes this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's 2019. The compulsive need some of y'all have to defend blackface is fucking amazing.

6. typefitter

7. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Probably not.

They're already rallying around "their boys".

After Viral Video, Families of Covington Are Swiftly Circling to Protect Their Boys

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Upon further review and from another angle, Tom Robinson did it. Atticus Finch was biased and couldn’t be trusted. Bob Ewell is a MAGA hero

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Wtf has gone on here. I’ve missed quite a bit, it seems.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Like I said: Being attacked via the media is their dream. This is everything they wanted to have happen in their lives.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Okay, now try doing it without the straw man. Who said it was unique to that particular high school? The students who did it elsewhere are every bit as ignorant and/or racist.

In the case of Covington, it does add evidence to the narrative. The correct response to the behavior exhibited by a few Covington students was to see if there was other evidence of an issue with the culture of the school and the way those students painted their faces is exactly that type of evidence.

12. typefitter

Some people have chosen for whom they wish to carry water, and it's both strange and telling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.