1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Explaining" and/or "trying to put into context" is not ipso facto "defending."

--- "Why were there 10 errors introduced into my story by the copy editor? He's incompetent! Or he's trying to sabotage my work!"

--- "No, he's not incompetent. He had a death in the family and came to work drunk. Inexcusable, but that's what happened."

---"WHY ARE YOU DEFENDING HIM??????"

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's uncanny how often America's deep racism has middle-of-the-road "explainers" to enable it.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In fairness that example is in a way defending the copy editor. You are excusing him coming to work drunk by saying he had a death in the family. Also you are suggesting this is a one-off thing to rebut the assertion of the copy editor's incompetence.

4. BTExpress

"In a way," I suppose.

But the "writer" was jumping to a quick conclusion that probably needed to be corrected.

Let's say George is due in at work at 4 p.m.
    It's 4:25, and he's still not here.
    "Lazy motherfucker," a co-worker says. "Just doesn't take his job seriously."
    "No," I may say. "He called a few minutes ago to say he had a flat tire and was waiting for AAA to arrive."

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The copy editor in this pointless hypothetical whataboutism still fucked up the story.

The minstrel painted faces still committed a racism.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Something like that. At the very least, it sure looks like wishful thinking from the Trumpist crowd at Fox News.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, back at Collusion Central...

Rudy is really not good at this.

Because I have been through all the tapes, I have been through all the texts, I have been through all the e-mails, and I knew none existed. And then, basically, when the special counsel said that, just in case there are any others I might not know about, they probably went through others and found the same thing.

Wait, what tapes have you gone through?

I shouldn’t have said tapes. They alleged there were texts and e-mails that corroborated that Cohen was saying the President told him to lie. There were no texts, there were no e-mails, and the President never told him to lie.

So, there were no tapes you listened to, though?

No tapes. Well, I have listened to tapes, but none of them concern this.

“Even If He Did Do It, It Wouldn’t Be a Crime”: Rudy Giuliani on President Trump

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And not too far from the Bible Museum and the Creation Museum, where we learn -- with the help of some juicy Kentucky taxpayer dollars -- that man and dinosaur happily coexisted. Among other things that Mike Pence and his klan want to "teach" the children.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I first heard that at work.

Dinosaur bones were put on Earth as a test of faith.

11. BTExpress

People screw up.

Not every one is an indictment of their potential to ever become a worthwhile human being.

HC, daemon and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

What are these "copy editors" you speak of?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.