1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Long time away. After the last shutdown, pundits predicted dire consequences for the GOP. There were no consequences. Trumpists control several battleground states and have proven they’ll steal elections by any means necessary.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

hi billy mays here for wall

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

If the glove doesn't fit, you must Photoshop it.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Never Attack The Orangeman

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Within two percent of the final result. It was within one percent in 2018. If the election were today, Trump would surely lose. Of course, it's not today, it's nearly two years from now. That's why polls today are of little value, not because they got it "wrong" in 2016. But the continuing question I have is "what's Trump going to do to turn it around?" Since the economy isn't likely to dramatically improve (most likely outcome a gentle slowdown in growth), what's he gonna do to convince 5-10 percent of the voters who think he sucks now that he deserves a second act?

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    USE IT AND PRAY

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Do not taunt Happy Fun President.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not sure why you think I'm pro-abortion any more than I assume you're pro-capital punishment.

I oppose abortion at the level of the individual, certainly - but think it should be kept legal. And I think if we're going to stop unwanted pregnancies, we have to include meaningful sex education and access to contraception, too. And build a parenting and adoption structure in this country sufficient to the task of caring for these children. We also need to intervene to break the cycle of poverty.

Which brings us to equality and opportunity and the advantages of being white.

What I think Roxane Gay is getting at here

Imagine if people were ever this concerned about young men of color, ever this accommodating, ever this expansive in allowing them humanity.

is the narrative arc of these public events/media circuses in which every effort is made to humanize a young white principal - and dehumanize young men of color.

White kids generally - even poor white kids - get the Boys-Will-Be-Boys Defense. Witness the number of people referring to the CovCath students as 'kids' or 'children.'

Young African American males of the same age don't get the benefit of that doubt. People—Including Cops—See Black Kids as Less Innocent and Less Young Than White Kids - The Atlantic

What's the action? Dismantle systemic racism.

How? I don't know.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

By stopping with the broad brush strokes of what white kids get vs. what black kids get vs. what [name your race, religion, any group] gets. As true as you believe those things to be in broad strokes.

Judge people individually. Judge situations individually. Stop giving credence to people who jump in immediately, to try to take every incident that gets a lot of attention and turn it into an example of systematic somethingism.

The CovCath kid isn't responsible for anyone except himself. His actions are his actions. If people viewed the world that way, there would be nothing to dismantle. People would be looking at every action through the prism of the individual, not tying it to a race or a religion or a group of some sort.

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I will not eat green eggs and ham.

OscarMadison, HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  12. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Interesting, but "that knowing smirk" reminds me of Resting Bitch Face that was a thing a year or two ago - judging people based on how you interpret their facial expression, which may or may not have anything to do with their actions or even intent. It's judging (likely) conservatives rather than women, though, so I expect different groups of people would be ok with it/opposed to it.

OscarMadison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.