1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Not true. He has unparalleled expertise in:

1) The Best People
    2) Very Fine People

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The entire 2018 I didn't have a job because I was at the end of a teaching program that required me to be in the classroom and it didn't jive with my full-time job. Basically, I was in an unpaid internship for the last 12 months. It royally blew and my wife and I had to take out some student loans to make sure we kept our house but beyond that, we went off of one income. I will say, not having that regular paycheck sucks so hard. Beyond hard.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I have owned two TVs in the past 20 years — and only bought the second one, our first flat-screen, because the sound went out on the heavy as fuck old-style TV I bought in the late 1990s. And we'll have this flat-screen until it goes kaput.

I've owned the same car for 19 years, and our newest car is a 2013 model we bought used in 2015 (and will be paid off this fall).

We have taken anniversary trips, but other than that we've had one family vacation in the seven years we've been married.

And, still, we'd be fucked if we had to go two months without a paycheck.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Said the guy who employed Emmet Flood, noted Clinton attorney.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So demand drives the economy, money in peoples pockets drives the economy. Not decreased capital gains taxes. Not decreased tax rates on the top 1/3. Government public works spending is good. (Yes that allegedly puts money in peoples pockets, but those folks had the ability for domestic consumption without the reductions in fair taxation

If there was any intelligence in the republican policy positions where foreign, domestic and military policies intersect, it would be a huge draw down on military spending as we remove ourselves from being the superpower whose goal is to influence world politics and world economics. If we are to put America 1st, there’s no need for immense military spending. We have more aircraft carrier groups than Russia and China combined. A 20% reduction in military spending wold still make the US the greatest spender on military matters in gross dollars and as a percentage of GDP (except for probably North Korea).

But conservatives/trumpistas/republicans lack a thoughtful, intelligent and cohesive approach to government and economics. And their supporters are anti-thoughtfulness and anti- intelligence

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The wealth gap grows every year while we finger-wag people for buying a new TV.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This is a feature, not a bug - right?

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You’re responding to an imaginary post.

Should steps be taken to narrow the divide between the 1 percent and the 99 percent? Yes, And I’m as liberal as they come on this. Should middle Americans stop buying so much shit? Yes. I know tons of people who would be the mayor of Shit creek if they lost their jobs and a big reason why is they’ve got credit cards maxed out from taking trips and buying shit they don’t need and they’re rocking not one, but two car leases. The wealthy elite didn’t tell them to do those things.

lakefront likes this.
  9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I don't know...Between 1988 and 2000, the median asking monthly rent in the northeast went from 459 to 530. From 2000 to 2014, it went from 530 to 921. In real dollars, per the Census bureau. During that same timespan, gas prices have risen from their historical baseline of about 2.00 to hovering around 3.00 per gallon. So just in terms of gas and rent, the average person who drives 10,000 miles per year is spending $5,000+ per year more than they were just 20 years ago. Now, add in the huge increase in average monthly student loan payments.

I'm not disputing that we live in a consumption economy. It's safe to say I've spent more money on entertainment (dining out, etc) and clothes than my parents/grandparents did. But it's also safe to say that the difference is far less than $5,000 per year.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

BTW, I challenge anyone here to walk into a bank and say, "Hey, I am not getting paid, so I have no income. I have no savings. Can I please have an uncollateralized bridge loan." Then report back what they say to you. ... if they say anything, rather than just laughing at you. I don't even need to know your credit score. Just walk in and ask for a bridge loan that way, see the response you get, and then head to the nearest bar and drink a toast to Wilbur Ross.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

plz nancy turn out for the brownout

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If it is so damn important why didn’t Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell fund the wall in February 2017?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.