1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Oh, my god, the stupid is strong with this one.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

i am surrounded by ms-13 and a bigger never before seen ms-14 with unbelievable carnage

3. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If they come across the border, people will see four women sitting in a van with tape around their mouth.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

He is caving like a Natty Light can in the Mariana Trench and making it seem like what he's wanted all along.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In any confrontation, he backs down. He's a coward. And an idiot.

He'll send his lawyers at you later.

That's the way he's always done "business."

Iron_chet and Double Down like this.
  7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    the horror the horror

Webster likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Has to have the stupid overcoat. What a puss.

9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I agree with this, but I think it starts at the level of Twitter, and it might be an unsolvable conundrum. The Covington story was pretty much archetypal: a story picks up traction on Twitter and at some point surpasses a critical threshold where it becomes a story regardless of its underlying reality, because enough people are talking about it. It's sort of a War of the Worlds phenomenon. The precipitating event didn't even exist, but the reaction to it was absolutely a story that needed to be covered. Any news site that wasn't mentioning the hullabaloo regarding the Covington kids would have been actively ignoring a big story.

This wasn't a matter of a bunch of inexperienced producers on the news desk turning a Tweet into a story. By the time it made the jump from Twitter to the web, it was a story, and it would have been a story even if the Times/WSJ/Post had ignored it. And most of the damage from the story was inflicted not by the news stories that ran on the web, but by the instantaneous Twitter takes of individual journalists, pundits, influencers, whatever.

We agree on the problem. I just don't know that I agree with your interpretation of cause/effect. The notion that a bunch of millennial (or any age) web producers decide what is or isn't news is imbued with a gatekeeper mentality, when the problem is that the gates no longer even exist.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And a plan to do it all again in three weeks.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Man, Trump is doing a lot of bar-lowering in this speech. They are going to string up barbed wire and claim he won.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Unbelievable. I can not believe this guy is the president of the United States. If I heard an idiot talking stupid crap like this in a bar, I would tell him to STFU.

I wouldn't want to be the Pinocchio fact checker on this one. It's going to be a late night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.