1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've never gotten around to playing there. HG is closest for me, and I've played at Hustler a ton of times. Bike and Commerce are a little farther away.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

sad capitalism trombone

The Trump administration's $1.5 trillion tax cut package appeared to have no major impact on businesses' capital investment or hiring plans, according to a survey released a year after the biggest overhaul of the tax code in more than 30 years.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No rational person supports illegal immigration. And ilegal immigration does cause crime problems. Illegal aliens are easy prey as victims. As someone with experience in deporting criminals, they come back faster than you can imagine.
    But a wall the length of the border is stupid and an inefficient spending of tax money, even Mexico’s. And illegal aliens depress American wages.

And there’s a difference between refugees and immigrants. I don’t see anyone pushing the refugee Cubans back to Cuba.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm not supporting illegal immigration but I disagree vehemently with the demonization of immigrants, legal or illegal.

"Criminals come back faster than you can imagine", please put in context. How fast is the recidivism with illegal immigrants relative to the recidivism rate for our general population?

"Illegal aliens depress American wages"; yes, but that's not the real question. Included in that statement is the huge assumption that if we remove illegal immigrants there will be a ready and willing pool of workers to perform those jobs. That's simply not going to happen.

Voters and the general populace is happy to blame the supply without looking in the mirror and addressing the demand.

Want to keep illegals out? Dom't hire the $10/hr worker in the Home Depot log; don't hire the domestic worker; the late term caregiver; don't complain with the price for remodeling your house goes up 30%; the price for new construction goes up 50% (schools, public works projects, roads, etc.)

They depress wages, yes, but they depress the final costs as well.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It's extremely low-rent. The 1-2 game has a $40 min-$100 max buy-in, and there are lots of guys buying in for $40. But it's also very soft. I've played there maybe a dozen times since I've moved here, and I've come out ahead 10 times. The Bike is probably my favourite room in LA, but it's pretty far from me. Hollywood Park is also great if I'm picking up or dropping off someone at LAX, like I am today. Just nip in for a fix.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I’ll be curious to see how many more times republicans will push the “trickle-down” and “tax cuts pay for themselves” garbage. And how many will fall for it again.

It seems to have changed a bit this time. They couldn’t run on a tax cut because it was unpopular.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Stories like these frustrate me, because I don't know:

>>How many people were surveyed
    >>What the usual response is

>>What paragraphs like the bolded below mean:

"A large majority of respondents, 84 percent, indicate that one year after its passage, the corporate tax reform has not caused their firms to change hiring or investment plans," said NABE President Kevin Swift.

The lower tax rates, however, had an impact in the goods producing sector, with 50 percent of respondents from that sector reporting increased investments at their companies, and 20 percent saying they redirected hiring and investments to the United States from abroad.

So if 50% of one sector says yes, and 84% total says no, then how many are actually surveyed?

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

But POTUS said new steel plants are opening all across the country creating thousands of jobs and bringing billions of dollars back to the US! And many many beautiful companies are returning to open factories here. HE SAID!

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

January 2019 Business Conditions Survey Summary

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Are any 1-2 games not soft these days? During the poker boom, they were like ATMs.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

When convicted criminals are deported they often come back to the US, obviously illegally. I don’t believe they dispportionately commit crimes, the evidence says. But we do have a problem that there are a lot, by raw numbers, of illegal aliens that commit crimes. They are a cost to local jurisdictions that have to prosecute them and jail them like anyone else. And local jurisdictions can’t afford it. Until recently, low level crimes committed by illegals have gotten what is called ‘ immigration friendly’ plea offers and sentences. Under 365 day sentences were considered nearly a safe harbor. Certain sex crimes were pled to non sex crimes, what’s commonly known as statutory rape and sex offenses were pled to assault to avoid deportation. That’s gone now. Shorter sentences are often imposed under the guise that let them be deported. We find that they return to this country before their sentences or probation would have been completed had they not been illegal. My experience is with violent crimes not drug crimes.

As for depressed wages, I don’t care. The American work force should be nearer actual fully employment before we need guest workers to fill out the ranks. Wages would rise as would some prices. But American ingenuity would provide incentives to reduce labor when the costs exceed their worth. Thus a balance is struck. An automated McDonalds is not cost effective at $10/hr for 12 employees a shift, but double the cost, and those burgers can cook themselves.

When you need labor, bring them in legally, and with benefits of domestic workers, not indentured servants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.