1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

True, but he was elected in part by promising not to send US soldiers to Vietnam, and much of his agenda was already law before we committed any troops beyond the 16K advisors already in country when he became president. The first 3,500 Marines landed on March 9, 1965, and the first major battles (Ia Drang Valley) weren't until that November.

Once he got in (faulty info on the Gulf of Tonkin attacks, similar to the lies about WMDs in Iraq) he couldn't get out, even if the Pentagon Papers clearly proved we knew we couldn't win as early as 1966-67.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sadly, no.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Buttery!!

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

My initial take on Schultz. He’s a rich dude who has trashed universal health care and likes his big, needless tax cut.

Seems like a non-starter for Democrats. Might be too early to go nuts over him, if he runs.

Independents usually draw equally from both parties. Big exception is 2000, certainly a big one, but skewed because thousands in South Florida accidentally voted for Pat Buchanan because of the stupid butterfly ballot.

This is going to be an incredibly motivated democratic base. Should be more than enough to beat all comers.

Reserve the right to say I was wrong.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

And no issues with how Roger Stone was arrested. He should be in jail just for that Nixon tattoo.

The moron loves the attention. Please, let him keep running his stupid mouth.

As an aside, why was Matt Whitaker sweating like Patrick Ewing in the fourth quarter during his press conference?

And is he actually Wilson Fisk?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For all the crud people give political parties - they do provide infrastructure and access to voters. Schultz is going to have to generate his own voter mailing lists from scratch and will be fighting for coverage during the Dem primary cycle. It will be a steep hill. Maybe he does the infomercial thing that Perot did, I doubt Sinclair will allow them to be run on their stations. I can tell you this, he doesn't have too many fans in Washington state after letting the Sonics go.
    But I do think he could win enough support to put swing states into Trump's column easily. With such a large field of Dems, there is going to be a lot of competition to be the "most progressive."

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Kamala Harris was very good tonight. She connected with her audience, she didn't shy away from controversial policy positions (Medicare for all, universal background checks, etc.) and she handled the obvious knocks against her (prosecutorial record, for instance) pretty well. It was a fairly friendly environment without an opponent there, but Democratic and Republican opponents alike would be wise not to underestimate her.

garrow, qtlaw and HanSenSE like this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If I could excise one sentence from the social media universe, "Where's the outrage?" would be in the top 5.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

All that crazy shit that Trump has been rambling about the border: Women taped up in vans, duct tape over faces, drug dealers with better cars than the border patrol, prayer rugs found in the desert.

It's *all* from Sicario: Day of the Soldado. He literally just watched a movie and didn't realize it wasn't real life.

Neutral Corner and Driftwood like this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No one is underestimating her.

Her challenge will be embracing positions she damn well knows are utopian nonsense like a kooky true believer.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Dem who wins will be the one who is able to tell those further left they are being unrealistic but still able to maintain their respect. Every one of the candidates will be pandering to the base, a better play is to rise above the fray - agree where you can, but play the "reality" card when you have to. I think there are plenty of voters who have already made up their minds - the ones that will decide the thing are those who may not like what they hear from a candidate, but appreciate getting an honest answer.

12. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Her challenge will be getting over being Willie Brown's side piece.

All kidding aside, she sucked up to the police/correction officers unions as California's Attorney General. Now she is positioning herself as a reformer. Having said that, her political skills are on point. This will be interesting to watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.