1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

We knew about Willie Brown in law school. I give him credit, he admitted in his Sunday column that they dated and he gave her two plum state commission bd gigs ($250k for 12 monthly mtgs).

She got her start with the CA Dem machine and learned from the Obama experience.

She’s smart and will frame things squarely, no BS. I’m hoping the US is ready for a smart female president. If not, it will be our loss, not hers.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As I was saying...

Immigration is most complex, but crime's right up there. And backlash on Harris' decision to appeal a decision in which the state had to pay for a convicted second degree murderer's gender-confirmation surgery...it's hard for a lot of dems outside total radicals to get too riled up.

3. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Taxpayers or insurance companies should not have to pay for cosmetic surgery, irregardless of your mental state.

Illegal immigration is bad but there is no need to build a wall. Make E-Verify mandatory. Give work permits to foreigners who want to work in agricultural and meat processing plants. Give them a process to citizenship.

Shit ain't that hard.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just a hunch: This will not be the Republicans' best argument should Trump be the candidate again.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Even insurance companies agree that some aspects of gender reassignment surgery should be covered. Others should not.

www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/600_699/0615.html

As I've often said, if you want to end "illegal immigration" overnight, arrest the CEOs of Hormel and Armour and Tyson.

And the violent crime rate in this country - including immigrant crime - has been dropping for years.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

We’ve locked a hell of a lot of people up, too, for a lot longer than we used to. There’s a reason - beyond baby boomers stay alive longer - violent crime is down.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Every time I think of how different this world would be if not for that, I want to climb in my DeLorean, go back to about 1999, and do something to get Katherine Harris removed from her job so there never was a butterfly ballot.

No butterfly ballot, Gore wins in 2000. We still have to suffer 9/11, but the response isn't Cheney's war. Gore wins again in 2004. Thousands of Americans aren't dead or maimed for life, and the environment is safe from corporate raiders. Obama mostly likely would not have won in 2008, but we could be in the middle of his second term now. The one thing for sure is, no Bush in 2000, no Trump in 2016.

A stupid idea by one woman (whether she thought she was doing a good thing or not is irrelevant) changed the course of much of our lifetimes.

*Granted, much of human history has been changed by one person doing one thing at the right/wrong time, but this is hitting us in the here and now.

OscarMadison and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Pretty much all elections are decided by a third of the voter turnout. The winner has two sway the purple vote.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

why are all the best people low-level liars with problems get jared on the phone

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Once again, the ideas with which Democrats are "pandering to their base" are popular with the general public. Taxing the rich more, extending health care and lowering college costs all command majority support in polls. They are framed as not so because they are unpopular with the wealthy, who dominate public life because they dominate its forms of communication. Here's a bet. If any one here said they were running as an independent on the very same platform espoused by Howard Schultz, your family would laugh at you. Yet your qualifications for that office are just as good as his. He gets extensive mass media exposure because rich people are given deference in same.

11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

By all means, Donny. Sue him for violating that NDA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.