1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My impression of George W. Bush is that he's a fundamentally decent man. As is Barack Obama, for what it is worth. To get to the place they did requires some unsavory bedfellows, in addition to a lot of transactional politics and pursuing populist agendas that create winners and losers, which are designed to buy votes. It has worked to the detriment of the country. We are where we are today, because we allowed more and more of that kind of thing, and we've ended up at its natural conclusion. But that is another conversation.

Bush needed to play nice with the the Mike Pence-type Christian moralists (and I am using the term to mean something other than actually being moral). But he was never in bed with them, and never pursued the kind of hateful things toward gay people that characterize a lot of those people. Ellen DeGeneres should be free to associate with whoever she wants. But as an outsider looking in, from what I would guess about George Bush the person, I am not surprised she doesn't see him as her enemy.

HanSenSE and TigerVols like this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bush was a brilliant politician (or at least his people were). Had enough credibility with both the Bible thumpers and the old money elite.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Dropping bombs and causing unnecessary civilian deaths is the only bipartisan thing this country is really, really good at.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

B7BE5644-6F8F-4B2F-88DD-6DD7B20ACAB2.jpeg

Cosmo likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've seen too many Republican politicians suddenly change their politics when it comes to gay marriage or AIDS funding when they found out a relative was gay. So while I fully oppose actions that are aimed at marginalizing groups - the best way to end such political moves is develop relationships that keep those moves from taking root. The silent treatment, turning your back on someone who has caused harm really won't do it.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Any republican who can steadfastly and without nuance be anti-abortion, anti-gay(marriage), pack the courts with little Scalias and run against the Clintons can be successfully elected.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Infrastructure Week is Back!

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There are attack ads out on a Democrat congresswoman from my area (let's say her name rhymes with hamberder) on this very subject. And it's not like she's even up for re-election this year. It's just straight up Rs whining about impeachment and endless investigations. It's the new talking point.

garrow likes this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

She’s up when everyone else is. And since impeachment will probably be over in a few months they might as well bitch about it now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.