1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Had the Kennedy administration had leakers like this, and had the JFK-Khruschev communications been made public, the US would have been forced to deny its "secret agreement" to withdraw its missiles from Turkey, and the Soviet Union in response would have continued its installation of nuclear weapons in Cuba. Yay, leakers!

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The problem isn't whether or not he does what the hawks want. It's that he does what he does in order to gain a transactional advantage for his businesses.

3. Neutral Corner

It also means that groups who might have considered aligning their forces with ours will be far less inclined to trust us. The Kurds have bled in their thousands so that we could run the fight against ISIS without taking U.S. casualties. Now we're going to stand back and watch as Erdogan shells and bombs towns full of civilians and the Russians join in?

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have to say that my entire getting kinda long life, the one constant of US foreign policy has been that ethnic, religious and political minorities in their own countries who assist the US militarily are always, always then fucked over by the US in the end. We are not your friends, and by "your" I mean "anybody's"

5. Neutral Corner

Hell, GHWB screwed the Kurds. Remember when we encouraged them to rebel against Saddam Hussein, and then suddenly made peace and left them to the tender mercies of the Iraqi Republican Guard?

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

7. Neutral Corner

8. Neutral Corner

It will be hard to "no collusion" his way out of this one. This isn't "unsolicited interference" by a foreign country in our election, it's Trump and Rudy going out looking for it.

I suspect that Rudy will reach "coffee boy, I barely knew him" status very shortly now. Out of the sleigh and to the wolves with him!

9. Neutral Corner

Good for you, Bill Penzey. Penzey's is a great spice store, well worth supporting on merit alone, but I think I need to spend more money there now. He's been openly opposing Trump ever since he was elected. Someone on the web site told him he'd lose his business, and his answer was that the fate of the country was more important, and that he hoped that for every customer he lost he would also gain one. Damn few businesses out there with that sort of guts. Penzey called Trump "an openly racist candidate" and has never backed down on his public opposition since.

Since the headline didn't come through, the article is regarding Penzey's pro-impeachment ads on Facebook. The only person who is spending more money on that issue on FB is Donald Trump.

"On Wednesday, Axios published a list of the entities spending the most money on Facebook ads on both sides of the impeachment debate. They included the usual suspects of the political war roll call, including Trump himself (he was top of the list, of course, at $718,000), Democratic presidential candidates Tom Steyer and Elizabeth Warren, and both the National Republican Congressional Committee and the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

But one name jumped off the screen for its sheer one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-other factor: Penzeys Spices, the nation’s largest spice retailer, had dropped $92,000 from Sept. 29 to Oct. 5 on ads championing impeachment. That was more than self-funding millionaire Steyer, more than hard-charging Warren — more than anyone else other than Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-ads-on-facebook-than-anyone-not-named-trump/

https://www.penzeys.com/

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm sure you haven't forgotten to consider why hawks want what they want, and where hawks end up after they're out of government and embedded in military board

America's wrecked half the world like this - certainly South America and Central America. The Taliban fought alongside us once. So did Iraq - against Iran. On and on with this.

Some Hawks were pushing for a control of Syria that was then handed over to these Kurds, who then would have had internecine Syrian war with Turkey on a much larger scale.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There's always a tweet from Trump's past that applies to today.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, the concept of a voting machine in the People's Republic of China fits the Trump brand perfectly. Of course, given how past Trump ventures have done, I am not sure they could count on the voting machines to accurately rig an election.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.