1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I loved that show when I saw it the first time, when it was called Arli$$.

CD Boogie and Inky_Wretch like this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He just can't let go. Again.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My guess would be CBS - Norah O'Donnell is down 10 percent in the demo from a year ago and 20 percent down overall. And she was hired to move the broadcast in the other direction.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's an interesting idea. I'd be really surprised if they did it, but it would certainly be a bold move. The CBS Evening News has kind of been flailing since Dan Rather left (and while he was not a great anchor, he was a steady and recognizable presence).

Norah's only had the gig for three months so it's hard to pin the failure in the ratings on her. It was Jeff Glor until mid-July and Glor is a woeful anchor. I'm not going to lie and suggest Norah is the answer here, but that would be a really quick trigger.

Two problems with Shep to CBS:

A) He's still going to have the Fox stink on him. People who know understand that he's a legit news guy fronting a clown show... but CBS viewers probably don't want the Fox guy and Fox viewers aren't going to start watching CBS.

2) The last time CBS went outside for an anchor hire it was a disaster. Katie Couric cost a fortune, the ratings sucked, and the news staff HATED her. From my understanding they had to pretty much gut the Evening News to pay for Couric and her entourage. The product suffered, they killed morale and the show was a failure. Couric was making $15 million a year... which I believe it precisely what Shep makes. Doesn't mean CBS won't do it... but they don't want Couric Part Two.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. DanOregon

Those ratings I mentioned were in comparison to Glor in the same week the previous year. I think O'Donnell is expendable. The real reason they moved her to that show was to put Gayle King front and center and not make it look like O'Donnell was getting the shaft. They make more money on the morning shows anyway. The Morning show was minus 4 pct year to year and up 3 pct. in the demo. Which is probably huge for CBS.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Right, but that's after Glor had another nine months in the chair. I'm not a huge O'Donnell fan, but it's an unfair comparison.

They didn't make Norah O'Donnell the anchor of the Evening News so they could put Gayle King front and center. They put her there because Jeff Glor had to go and they didn't have any other halfway decent options. They can do whatever they want with Gayle King's role -- it has nothing to do with O'Donnell.

9. DanOregon

10. Neutral Corner

11. Neutral Corner

12. Neutral Corner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.