1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Slacker likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trump is OK. But Warren ...

garrow likes this.
  3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

@Alma,
    Do YOU think being gay is sinful?
    And if so, why?
    I’m truly curious about this, because I have family members who think it is — including an aunt/uncle who gave a gay son — but they can’t articulate their reasoning beyond “the Catholic Church is against it.”

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The US Constitution, by design of its not particularly religious authors and ratifiers, does not recognize the concept of sin. That's one of the biggest reasons this is a good place to live.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

You really want to know what my issue with Hatguy is?

I respect his football knowledge. I actually have learned more about football from reading his football stuff than just about anything else, so I respect that (He says several NFL and college coaches have his clock management book). He lost me, however, when he said there was a reverse racism in college football recruiting where he claims that white running backs, receivers and defensive backs get passed over by college coaches no matter how good they are. He told a story about a white receiver on a mostly black team. In the game video the college coach saw, everyone on the team was wearing gloves and black long-sleeve Under Armour shirts so from where the video was shot nobody could tell if the kids were black or white. He said when the college coach found out a certain receiver that interested him was white, he was no longer interested. For those of you who know college recruiting, does that ever really happen? Does it even sound plausible?

Of course, one of his sons, a high school teammate of Kenny Dorsey's, was a backup tailback at Columbia, behind a black kid. Must be racism, he thought.

But what really bugs me about him is his idea of a "head tax" to replace the income tax. Everyone, no matter how much they made, would pay the same dollar amount, not the same percentage of their income, the same dollar amount. For me, that would be around half of my annual income, while for Bill Gates, it's whatever he has between the cushions of his couch. If I don't have enough left to eat and put gas in my car, tough shit. He said they could leave me and people like me with just enough to live on but so little that it would be incentive to make more money. If it were easy to make more money, I already would be.

He also said richer people could sponsor a poorer person of their choosing and pay their bill for them. Sounds like a scam/bullying shit a college roommate pulled on me once.

His logic for everyone paying the same is that everything else costs the same for everyone. Bill Gates pays the same for a loaf of bread that I do, so why should taxes be any different.

If I say it's because Bill Gates can afford to pay more, that makes me a Marxist because it's "To each according to their needs, from each according to their ability." Something Marx never said and it doesn't apply here.

It's not my fault I'm not rich. People like Reed had the advantage of going to college for free and getting an MBA from Harvard. I never had the opportunity to do that. So he thinks I should pay more taxes, a lot more, because he wants to pay less? Fuck him. Why should I?

I'm not part of the problem. He is.

lakefront likes this.
  8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I always have been amused at the cherry-picking the Bible-beaters use to justify bigotry against homosexuals. They claim it's God's word. God never had anything to say about it. The Old Testament laws against homosexuality were written by Jewish elders. Men, not God. They also endorsed slavery and stoning people for not observing the Sabbath. But I know a lot of "good Christians" who miss church all the time (many of them are getting drunk off their ass in Baton Rouge right now and won't go near a church tomorrow) and no one's going to be throwing rocks at them.
    Societal mores and law have evolved other the centuries. We don't stone people to death (unless you're in Saudi Arabia) for anything, let along being gay.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That's the best post I've ever seen you make. Well-done.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

But he's not really part of the problem. He's an idiot and a nobody in a stupid hat. Nobody cares what he thinks, with apparently one exception.

Seriously, man -- consider giving up recreational anger. There is no reason on Earth to read and think about dipshits like Hat Guy. He has no worthwhile thoughts. He has no constituency. He's just a guy in a stupid hat spouting off on Facebook. Time to "unfollow."

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.