1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's my biggest worry with "The Irishman," that several studios bailed as its budget kept rising. If they thought it was good enough to break even — especially with the names attached — they would never have bailed.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Good reviews so far, though. We'll see. If nothing else, I won't get dinged for the price of a ticket if it does not live up to its billing.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. bigpern23

That's encouraging. I haven't read any reviews yet.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Basically all rave reviews.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure we can justify all the Spider-Men on the same basis.

Even as a business matter, Coppola has a point. At some level the endless repetition and the reboots are cynical, to say nothing of creatively bankrupt.

Again, it's a business. But plenty of businesses are despicable.

And I think it's inevitable that X-Men reboot into the MCU.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

[
    Spider-Man has been the only reboot in the MCU. Perhaps the Hulk, though that was really a change of actor without throwing out the story from The Incredible Hulk.

There is no question at all about the X-Men rebooting in the MCU. It has already been announced that is the plan.

Again, are we talking about the MCU or all comic book movies? If we are just talking about the MCU, the fact that they are rebooting the X-Men to bring them in is irrelevant. Hopefully, they handle it as well as they handled Spider-Man, preferably with very little in the way of origin stories.

I think they have to reboot the X-Men to make it fit, but not Deadpool. Keep the character and keep Ryan Reynolds in the role. I don't even care how they explain him coming over from the Fox movies. Have him make a fourth-wall-breaking joke about it and move on. It's Deadpool. He's supposed to be ridiculous.

Reboot the Fantastic Four because the last movie was too horrible to bother with and the previous ones are far enough in the past to leave them there.

Adapting other materials does not mean there is no creativity. Hell, that's most of what Hollywood does and that includes many classics. People who are stuck on the source material being a comic book rather than a novel need to get over themselves.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  7. bigpern23

That's a fair point.
    There's been only one Spider-Man in the MCU, but I get his point. That's why I was glad that the MCU eschewed doing an origin story for Spider-Man. He basically shows up in Civil War as if he's been doing some wall-crawling already and they hit the ground running in Homecoming, with only a line or two between Peter and Ned describing how he became Spider-Man.

MCU's introduction and arc for Spider-Man — entering on the grand stage of Civil War, then focusing on his neighborhood-level persona before elevating him to global savior in Infinity War/Endgame — has been exceedingly well done.

Is it cinema? Hell if I know. I do enjoy it, though.

8. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

MCU is like the Candy Crush of the movie world. Plenty of people will pay for it
    and enjoy it, but it's still shit.

9. outofplace

I honestly don't have a problem with Scorsese saying it isn't cinema. I could not care less if those movies live up to his standard of art. Coppola calling them despicable is another matter, especially given that he most likely hasn't actually seen many of them, if any.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

To be fair to Coppola, he doesn't say "they're" despicable.

He says "it's" despicable.

He's talking about the business model.

11. outofplace

That dastardly studio! How dare they make movies that people want to see and bring in ridiculous amounts of money?!

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

From Coppola's point of view, the extent to which the endless repetition and remanufacture of these tentpole comic book franchises crowds out other work, it's bad business.

It's also not a lock that the comic book stuff, even relaunched, rethought, rebooted, makes money. The last Fantastic Four is a good example.

Draft saved Draft deleted