1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Also: The GOP didn’t make this guy president. The American people did, including lots of “former Democrats” who walked away over the years for various reasons. (Some for the wrong, immoral reasons.)

Trump was America’s way - especially Republicans’ way - of saying “whatever you’ve been giving us, we don’t want, so we will pick the guy who more or less says he’s the devil because, at least with him, we know the score.” I’m not upholding that choice - it’s darkly nihilistic, in a way - but it’s where whole parts of America were. Our aristocracy/leadership class/political class has stunk for 20 years. It’s bloated, self-satisfied, in a bubble, more concerned with Kurdish fighters than black American lives in Chicago or Baltimore, full of empty promises on 12 different fronts and seemingly, utterly entrenched in their wealth and static comfort. And they lie - not in the clumsy blowhard ways Trump does - you can smell his gas a mile off - but in sophisticated, intellectual ways. Paul Ryan ways.

They put Trump there knowing full well his flaws. They still do and I think he’ll lose because his flaws have grown and come to dominate every waking moment of politics, which isn’t good for anyone.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

FATUS -- always playing up to the back of his baseball card

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Brown would have won, but was overthrown in controversial circumstances. A buddy watched him on election coverage the other night, said he was very good. He pointed out the Conservatives are kidding themselves if they think they can win elections without a climate plan

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

6. Neutral Corner

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yes, awful. Do something about it.

8. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

He's quite concerned.

9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Not sure what any of this has to do with the topic at hand. You like to blame the "woke" left for the country's current state, but the "woke" left is a recent phenomenon. That's the point I was making. Meanwhile, Trump is the Frankenstein of a 25+ year effort on the part of the GOP to ingrain in their base a primal Fear of a Minority/Gay/Clintonian Planet. He is the Fox News viewer who seized control of the asylum. None of that was a reaction to wokeness. I suppose you can argue that the Woke Left is the Dems' own Frankenstein. But it's disingenuous to pretend that the Woke played an equal role in driving us to this point.

Regarding the other point: Woke Secularism and Conservative Christianity are both extreme religions that are equidistant from the center. Both are dogmatics that impede sound/rational policy making with their hardline adherence to ideals. To an extraterrestrial, both would appear equally delusional/crazy. The Woke Left just seems more delusional/crazy to you because you happen to believe in the Christian Right's world view.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again, the problem isn't Trump (voters).

The problem is the criticism of Trump (voters).

Fred siegle likes this.
  11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

My mistake, I had thought Brown had failed in at least one Ontario election. I still think he lacked personality or any kind of presence though.

Yes I agree he would have beaten the Liberals last year, but so could have I.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If I’m the Democrats, I use the phrase “quid pro quo” so many times it becomes the three-word protest mantra. Wear it on t-shirts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.