1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Man, what in the hell are you talking about? What is my “value system” and how did I try to “impose” it?

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A lot of this is just rhetoric unmoored from nuance or context or whatever, and that's fine. Of course he's literally a part of the GOP. He isn't and wasn't a spiritual friend of it, though. I mean, come on: The GOP stance on illegal immigration was more or less to kick the can down the road. Lots of libertarian politicos - the folks who helped the GOP win so many races - love illegal immigration!

The GOP international strategy would have never been to pull troops out of Syria. Never! We'd have been in Libya, Syria and maybe even Iran by now if we were drawing down the second term of Mitt Romney. We'd almost certainly be in some kind of proxy war with Russia; proxy wars - or actual wars - is what America does when a Republican is in office, from Nixon to Reagan to Bush 1 to Bush 2.

Trump's victory was not preferred by the establishment men and women of that party, but the candidates running were so many and so uniformly bad - the second-place finisher was called "Lucifer in the Flesh" by the Speaker of the House, a member of his own party - that they got steamrolled by the guy. Yes, it'd be accurate to say the GOP and its media partners stoked the manifestation of such a candidate. No, it wasn't the outcome they preferred. How is this hard stuff?

The sobering lesson of Trump's victory in the primary and the general election - that many Americans hate our politicians so much they sent an absolute troll to run the country - remains lost on our political aristocracy. There's no doubt Trump is an absolute lout. That's not the point. We can keep making that point without learning much of anything. He'll be out of the office in 13 months. What then? Back to the usual smarmy politicians who help their kids get into great colleges and then land on boards of foreign companies? A hard left move where the government tells everyone the best, most proper ways to act? What?

Does anyone want to imagine the future or just keep kicking along in the Trumpian present because anger feels good?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Alma on this board is like Roger Federer visiting my local tennis courts. And a bunch of hackers trying to see if they can get a point off him.

4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

We can't start pissin' all over each other in the fight over Trump's inevitable departure from office and/or the country.

He's a dangerous man who doesn't understand how government works, who couldn't pass a high school civics test at gunpoint, who really thinks he was elected king and/or dictator, who engages in petty arguments with no idea what he's actually talking about ...

Donald Trump is the enemy. The enemy within. He must be exterminated. Like a rat. Like fuckin' Willard, or Ben with Michael Jackson singin' in the background.

I don't care how we get DJT out of our lives, and as I mentioned a couple days ago, if he bought the farm I'd go to my fave bar and buy everybody a freakin' drink.

There have been some cracks. Not many, but some. The Republicans have been experts at fightin' dirty since Bill Clinton's election, and the only times it didn't work was Clinton's re-election and the Obama wave of idealism.

Donald Trump is the enemy. Period.

Killick and Driftwood like this.
  5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

The GOP is wholly controlled by the plurality of right-wing media consumers. Are they the majority? No. But they're by far the loudest sub-set. Donald Trump consumes the same media, believes the same things they do, and speaks the specific language.

The Sean Hannity/Rush Limbaugh/Tucker Carlson crowd? THAT is the mainstream GOP. You can't win a nationalized Republican election without appealing to that crowd.

And I promise you: That group's stance on illegal immigration was decidedly not "more or less to kick the can down the road."

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Trump being removed from office will be my generation's V-J Day.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Apparently Cocaine Mitch called the GOP senators together to talk about how to properly defend Dirty Donnie.
    When the impeachment trial comes, it's the Senate's job to act as a jury.
    Uhhhhhh, did I miss the part about the jury defending the accused?

Of course, Leningrad Lindzey said he plans to introduce a resolution calling for the Senate to ignore any House impeachment.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Blue baseball caps, even.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. Neutral Corner

11. Neutral Corner

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Neutral Corner's twitter dump time.