1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I keep going back to this Obama quote. It is so good and relevant.

“Being a strong man also includes being kind. There is nothing weak about kindness, and compassion. There’s nothing weak about looking out for others. There’s nothing weak about being honorable. You’re not a sucker for having integrity, or for treating others with respect.”

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

A 2018 quote from his successor:

"One of the problems that a lot of people like myself — we have very high levels of intelligence, but we’re not necessarily such believers. You look at our air and our water, and it’s right now at a record clean. But when you look at China and you look at parts of Asia and when you look at South America, and when you look at many other places in this world, including Russia, including — just many other places — the air is incredibly dirty. And when you’re talking about an atmosphere, oceans are very small. And it blows over and it sails over. I mean, we take thousands of tons of garbage off our beaches all the time that comes over from Asia. It just flows right down the Pacific, it flows, and we say where does this come from. And it takes many people to start off with."

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

@garrow, it would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

garrow likes this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Virtue signaling! How dare he!

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

From President Mozarella, of course.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Borrowed from Facebook, though I think it originated on Quora:

I’m a conservative, but I tend to vote almost straight line Democrat over most of the last 20 years. I’d absolutely love to vote for Republicans again, but they do make it terribly hard. For what it’s worth, here’s what it would take for me.

Honesty. At least within reason. The GOP has turned to misinformation and misdirection to try to disparage the left instead of just being real. A few points on that include: all credible science supports the reality of climate change. The Democrats aren’t coming for anyone’s guns. Trickle down economics doesn’t work. Tax cuts to billionaires don’t create jobs. Iraq did not have WMDs and did not attack us on 9/11. Obama is a Christian born in the US and is an American citizen. And Trump is unqualified and is doing a terrible job.

Break from the hypocrisy. The right crucified Obama on a daily basis for things as ridiculous as his choice of suits and condiments. But Trump and GW Bush got a pass for everything. Don’t complain that people aren’t giving Trump the respect due his office when you spent 8 years pretending Obama was a Muslim born in Kenya.

Conserve something. Anything. Be “conservative.” Don’t waste money we don’t have on tax handouts to billionaires and corporations that have no ROI. Don’t waste money on making our military 15 times bigger than the rest of the world’s when 12 times bigger is more than sufficient. Don’t waste human lives in needless wars. Don’t deplete our natural resources when there are better alternatives. Don’t let people die from treatable illnesses.

Be consistent. If you say you’re pro-life, be pro-life. Stop tolerating unarmed minorities shot dead on the streets. Stop tolerating poverty being a cause of death in the richest country in the world. Actually do things that reduce the abortion rate. See hypocrisy above.

Be inclusive. You should want people to participate in the process, even when they disagree with you. Stop trying to block people from voting and stop opposing laws that fight discrimination. Stop tolerating hate speech.

Get back to Christian values if you’re going to claim to have them. The GOP has abandoned the basics. Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly; show love; speak truth. These are the basic Biblical values, and the Democrats are better at all of them than Republicans. All of them. All. Of. Them.

Participate in the process even when you’re losing. The GOP right now is the kid that flips over the Monopoly board when they’re losing. They filibustered more times during the Obama administration than in all previous history combined. McConnell refused to confirm Obama’s SCOTUS nominee because it was an election year (but says he would confirm one next year if given the opportunity; see hypocrisy above), and now he has over a hundred bills the House passed that he won’t let the Senate vote on, or even debate on, because his side might lose. Debate is essential to a functioning democracy! Republican lawmakers in Oregon recently fled the state to try to prevent a quorum so that they wouldn’t lose a vote. GW Bush came to power by fighting to make sure votes weren’t counted (after winning his gubernatorial election by forcing a recount; see hypocrisy above).

In short, if the GOP actually cared about anyone, and actually worked to accomplish anything other than staying in power, they’d have a much better chance of getting my vote. I think they need to work on being a viable party for conservatives before they start trying to win over liberals.

– RANDY WEIR
    , author, journalist, minister, radio personality

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Of course that makes way too much fucking sense. Where's your blue font?

You have a better chance of pulling a unicorn out of your ass than you do of having today's Republicans turn into Ike's Republicans.

Smallpotatoes and HanSenSE like this.
  9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

cuck

BadgerBeer likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I read an article about this on Cracked.com. It asked how is this supposed to be an insult? If your wife is cheating on you, you're not the one who did something wrong. You're the one who still has integrity.

It says more about the person using it as an insult than the person he's insulting.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.