1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

No chance that Trump's "major announcement" is good.
    It will either be stupid or bad.
    No way it's good.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

maybe the Reichstag is on fire.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. Driftwood

It will be an announcement about killing Baghdadi, and I personally put that in the "well, OK" category.
    Trump will try to make it like when Obama announced Bin Laden had been killed, but I personally don't consider remotely the same.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

How many "top" leaders of our faraway boogeyman enemies have been killed since 9/11. Hundreds, I'd say. And yet, the enemies don't ever seem to go away. Bin Laden's been dead eight years now, and I'm still reading about Al Qaeda. Wasn't ISIS supposed to already have been defeated? Still there. We've surely killed tens of thousands of Taliban in Afghanistan in 18 years. They're winning their war.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Yeah, a big fat "atta boy" for Mango Mussolini.

7. Michael_ Gee

Reading that Baghdadi was reported to have been seriously injured, possibly paralyzed, in a previous attack. Also that the Kurds provided the intel for the raid. But once again we come to the main American misconception of the Forever War, that our enemies are organized in a highly structured bureaucratic system just as we are, and therefore the loss of their "leaders" is a crippling blow.

8. Driftwood

Trump will probably claim he flew to Syria, personally planned and led the raid, actually pulled the trigger and made it back in time to go to Sunday morning church and squeeze in a quick nine this afternoon.

9. Michael_ Gee

Also worth noting that Baghdadi has been reported killed on multiple occasions before this. Not that I don't believe this report, I do, but it speaks to our "leader" obsession.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

While I doubt it would happen, wouldn’t it be something if Trump announces Baghdadi is dead, only for the guy to come out the next day and be like,”Nope, Trump lies to you again.”

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Maybe Baghdadi is the ISIS equivalent to The Dread Pirate Roberts?

12. Michael_ Gee

Gosh, cable news sure loves the Forever War. Of course, without the first Iraq War, there might not be a cable news. Saddam has that to answer for in hell, too.

OscarMadison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.