1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

This is how the Trumpers are going to defend him
    They’re going to look at Vindman, Bill Taylor, Marie Yovanovich, Fiona Hill and everyone who agrees with them
    Instead of saying they’re patriots, which they are, they’re going to paint them with a deep state brush

Lou Dobbs and Guests Go Off on Alex Vindman

HanSenSE and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

First, who the fuck is Dobbs fooling with that dye job/rug? The only reason the tinfoil pin head is relevant because he's gone all-in, straight up Trump's ass. Desperate.

Some Republicans have pushed back on the vilification of Vindman and others. Will more join?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have to think Dobbs will be done when Trump is done. Fox News and FBN really needs a revamp or some upstart network will successfully launch a more advertiser friendly version of Fox for the post-Trump era.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That isn't from a transcript. The transcript may or may not contain an explicit demand, but that isn't from the transcript. That's from a 5-minute memorandum of a 30-minute telephone conversation.

And, lo and behold, the decorated NSC officer who testified today "told House impeachment investigators on Tuesday that the White House transcript of a July call between President Trump and Ukraine’s president omitted crucial words and phrases, and that his attempts to include them failed, according to three people familiar with the testimony."
    White House Ukraine Expert Sought to Correct Transcript of Trump Call

5. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I thought we were told to always SUPPORT THE TROOPS.

Guess the GOP and NFL were wrong. Got it.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, first, it is the transcript. Unless there's some other transcript. That's why the news story you linked calls it a transcript.

And of course he sought to correct the only written evidence we'll have with his memory. My last sentence in the previous was facetious.

Politically speaking, this has been beautifully handled by the Democrats. I'm not even kidding. And I do think it'll result in impeachment. And I think Trump's going to lose in a year. I feel like those four sentences have to serve as a disclaimer as I simultaneously find some of what's happening a little curious. Both things, for me, can be true.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Two things:

1. It wasn't a transcript. You know that. Right?

2. The extent of Trump's attempts to bribe the Ukraine went beyond the phone call. There was a months-long campaign to make it happen. You know that, too, right?

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

So you're wondering aloud if Trump is in trouble because he's a dove?

Of all the weird takes I've read on the Trump presidency, that's definitely one of them.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

From the "transcript" itself.

upload_2019-10-29_22-38-15.png

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The document itself states on the first line that it is a "Memorandum of Telephone Conversation." The bottom of the first page notes, and I quote (bold emphasis is mine):

CAUTION: A Memorandum of a Telephone Conversation.· (TELCON) is not a verbatim transcript of a discussion. The text in this document records the notes and recollections of Situation Room Duty "Officers and-NSC policy staff assigned to listen and memorialize the conversation in written form as the conversation takes place. A number of factors can affect 'the accuracy of the record, including poor telecommunications connections and variations in accent and/or interpretation.

The word "inaudible" is used to indicate portions of a conversation that the notetaker was unable to hear.

It absolutely is NOT a transcript. That word has been used as a shorthand.

EDIT: @Justin_Rice beat me to it.

cyclingwriter2 and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Or the Democrats were wrong to be cynical about it back then.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I know it's not a verbatim transcript. It is, however, a transcript.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.