1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It's a memo.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No. Trump's shit all over those agencies 100 times and he's an unprofessional buffoon. That's why they're up in his gills (and not unreasonably).

I'm saying it's possible he's those things and, if we were pursuing proxy wars more readily in the Middle East, maybe this Ukrainian thing isn't that big of a deal.

But maybe it is. I'm skeptical. That's all I'm communicating.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's in the format of a transcript.

I know it's not every word said in the call. Apparently, the transcribers knew ahead of time to keep the obvious demand out, but structured the conversation like a mob boss so Adam Schiff would pick up on that vibe instead.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

That’s not a transcript.

It’s meeting minutes. I presume you are or were a journalist; you should know the difference.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's not meeting minutes. My God. It's quotes in the form of a transcript.

Seriously, calm down. I'm real aware it's not every word said in the call. We don't have in the house White House recording system any more. Call it whatever you want. Hey - call it a screenplay of a mob movie. Whatever. I know it's not every word.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wrong. It's a memorandum. As it explicitly states in the document itself.

Semantics aside, do you at least acknowledge the possibility that Vindman's description of a "demand" could have been accurate despite there being no explicit demand made in the document that was released to the public? That was the main point I was making.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

JFC, it’s not a transcript. It is a summary.

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

This is why it matters: “Transcript” is a precise word which implies, “this is word for word all that was said.”

You acknowledge that’s not the case.

But you also argue, “I mean, the transcript contains no demand,” citing the document as case-closed evidence.

Which do you choose? The transcript isn’t a transcript, or, “nope - transcript seems to prove there’s nothing to see here.”?

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

May the GOP and FATUS hang by wire nooses.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No it doesn't mean that. The New York Times agrees with me.

White House Ukraine Expert Sought to Correct Transcript of Trump Call

PBS
    Vindman testified he tried to fill in omissions in Trump Ukraine transcript

How many more headlines would you like me to pull up?

Transcripts do not have to be word for word to be transcripts. And that memo sure as hell aren't meeting minutes.

Enough of this.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In the format of a transcript. This is why news agencies are calling it, in headlines, a transcript.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes, it's possible. Did the summarists/transcriptionists deliberately leave it out? A demand?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.