1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

They are presenting it as a transcript because that enables Drumpf to speak a truthful lie. It is not a complete or accurate transcript, however.

Fred siegle and Inky_Wretch like this.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I obviously don't know the answer, but that seems to be what Vindman is alleging.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

An edited release of a phone call by this White House is not trustworthy. What they released is damning. So what the hell did they cut out?

It's the crooked Barr summary of the Mueller report all over again. Only this time people are stepping up to call bullshit.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I guess it's possible they overlooked it.

The "it's not written down but it happened" argument is not my favorite. But he may very well be right. It honestly wouldn't surprise me. "Demand" is a strong word.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Was it edited? Or just what was typed up at the time?

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’m a lawyer. A transcript is a verbatim recording of what was said. As is often attributed to Abe Lincoln — How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Saying that a tail is a leg doesn't make it a leg.

7. bigpern23

CBS News agrees it was a memo.
    Read the whistleblower's memo about Trump's Ukraine call, as described to CBS News

As does NPR.

Oh, and THE DOCUMENT ITSELF CALLS IT A MEMORANDUM.

8. bigpern23

I hear you about "it's not written down but it happened," but according to the Times story, he's not saying they overlooked something, he's saying they omitted something, despite his protests.

Fred siegle and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It was 100 percent edited. This is tiresome.

Let's hear the actual recorded call to settle the fucking question.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is there a transcript of Lincoln saying that!?!

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I like my presidents when they aren’t shot by an actor.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The first sentence has no relevance to this discussion. The second is true in itself, but doesn’t limit other definitions.

Your Abe Lincoln example is poor. A partial transcript is like, say, a peg leg, not a tail.

At any rate, enough. Believe what you want call it what you want, call me a fool. Call the New York Times and PBS, too. Hell, call them meeting minutes in the form of a screenplay in courier font.

Vindman’s contention is a demand was made in the call. A demand. The meeting minutes, the memo, Abe Lincoln’s tail, whatever, has no demand in it. So either the otherwise benign note takers forgot the demand was made or were in on the Ukrainian fix, yet still manage to render Trump a mob boss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.