1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Dead Don't Die. Pretty amusing. Great cast, lots of political commentary.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Parasite; great reviews, Palme D’Or; didn’t hit me that way. (I’m dense or something because I didn’t like Get Out as much as others too). Funny, good acting , but not great IMHO.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Watched Midsommar, which I went into with good expectations based on professional reviews and the opinions of friends who saw it.

[​IMG]

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I watched this last night, and really enjoyed it. And -- maybe I'm just dumb, but...whatev -- I had no idea it was based on a true story until the credits started to roll. That sent me into a rabbit hole of Rudy Ray Moore searches.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Miss that show (HOMEY DONT PLAY THAT!)

6. bigpern23

It's been awhile since I've so actively disliked a film. That quote so perfectly summed up how I felt about it. :D

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Headed to The Irishman tonight, really looking forward to it. Even with the 7 hour running time.

Saw Motherless Brooklyn. I liked it but it's definitely a bit slow. Would be fun to watch with Robert Caro to get his take on the Robert Moses storyline.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Saw Joker. Super uplifting. Maybe the feel-good hit of the year.

garrow, Flip Wilson and Severian like this.
  9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Thought I was going to see a Joker subway scene last night coming home from Motherless Brooklyn. 2 a.m. We all have to disembark the 1 train after a track fire had all the cars filling up with smoke. Eventually we're all on the platform except one guy, who will not step off. He eventually is screaming at two of the workers. Then the passengers are screaming at him. He's screaming at them. Went on for like 10 agonizing minutes. We needed him to get off (eh) so a new train could roll in and they could remove the smoky one. At that moment it did indeed feel like things were getting crazier out there.

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Careful. You might trigger someone.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Best movie of the year so far for me.

12. bigpern23

It was batshit insane, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but in this case it was. It was 2.5 hours of observing this fictional (I think) cult. It didn't go anywhere for me.

It struck me as "Get Out" for white people, only not nearly as savage with the social commentary. Much like Get Out, the protagonist in Midsommar is an outsider who is brought to a remote location by someone they know from university who manipulated them. In Get Out, Chris is an outsider because he's black. In Midsommar, they are outsiders because they are American.

In both films, the outsiders get an uneasy feeling about their hosts, who are overtly very friendly and welcoming. The protagonists seem chalk up their uneasiness to their "outsider" status, but obviously there is more to it than that. Get Out made even casual, friendly conversation sound sinister. Midsommar tried to do the same, but was not as subtle, nor as effective.

Unlike Get Out — which expertly used seemingly innocent dialogue to explore racial dynamics in America — Midsommar said absolutely nothing. Again, it simply observed the events that unfolded. The reaction I was left with was, "So what?"

Christian, at one point, says they should keep an open mind to this cult that just sacrificed two humans. The filmmakers seemed to do the same. They kept an open mind and simply presented the material, without taking a side, and the film suffered for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted