1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

cyclingwriter2 and OscarMadison like this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sure Jethro

OscarMadison and Jesus_Muscatel like this.
  3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The new GOP, just like the old GOP. Only without reason or accountability.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

And you’ll be required to register your fetus

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's a bit more nuanced than that. You had African-American leaders in KC on both sides of the debate. They want a MLK Drive, but given the historical significance of the Paseo to the black community they didn't want that particular street renamed.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Trump and his sycophants are rationalizing last night's defeat in Kentucky. Virginia went hard blue. I know a lot of people who really think Trump is going to be re-elected.

I say people are tired of his act. Even if he MAKES IT to election day -- no certainty there -- I think most people, 65 percent or so, have seen enough.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

This. I lived in KC. It has a significant black population. Had they renamed pretty much ANY OTHER street, no one would have cared.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. goalmouth

DJTJ tweets Breitbart story naming WB. Please prepare his golden piano wire noose.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Now do a first-time Latino homebuyer.
    Or a 19-year-old gay man navigating society in 1965 versus 2018.
    We can play this game all fuckin day.

And btw, I am not assessing my quality of life necessarily by financial health. I can see that's the prism through which you view everything.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

When Russian interference will become an issue to the true believers. That and they'll blame Hillary and Obama.

11. goalmouth

Hey GOP -- Nice election you have there. Shame if anything happened to it.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think his clown act could have gotten through in 2016, without the process in the Democratic primary somehow coming up with just the kind of odious candidate to a lot of people to make a Trump electoral victory possible.

At this point, I think you are right, aside from the 30 or 35 percent of the population that blindly is all in on him, there has to be a significant chunk of the votes he got last time on the "We'll give him a chance, just to try something other than the same old shit" line of thought, that have buyer's remorse.

That leaves one bogey. Can the process in the Democratic primary somehow screw it up again? For example, will there be a nominee that is such a turn off to a large number of people, that it creates another no-win choice that can somehow lead to another Trump victory (Elizabeth Warren, cough cough)?

I think they'd be best suited finding the least controversial, most "moderate sounding" candidate there is, who says as little as possible to avoid turning people off. Someone without Joe Biden baggage. Someone who seems fresh to the majority that votes on image. But they don't seem to do that, because there is a primary process that locks them into BS that works with the small, but rabid, minority it takes to win in the primaries, but will be problematic when it gets to the general election.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.