1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Hot take...

thus movie is much better without DeNiro and Pacino but with different actors.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Did they ever mention why everyone seemed to die in 1980 or 1979?

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Climax was when he put two in Hoffa.

It was 30 minutes of resolution, which was the part of the movie I liked the most.

4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Because they got old.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

They didn’t trip and fall into bullets.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is it a problem with mob movies that you really don't feel bad when anyone dies? Another question - whether it happened in reality or not, would having Frank visit Hoffa's widow been more effective than just calling her? Or did the scene require the daughter to be part of it?

PS - one of the things I love about this movie is a) it's on Netflix and widely available and b) it's a true story so the spoiler rules don't really apply, c) I'm curious if different generations view it differently. Imagine the moviegoer who only knows of DeNiro sending up his mobster persona. Or seeing Pacino and Pesci in a meaty role for the first time?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Enjoyed it but put me in the "too long" camp. Maybe it would have been easier if Netflix had somehow split it into five episodes?

Loved the cars -- Scorsese films always are spot-on with cars.

Watched the closing credits and when Steven Van Zandt came across I said "huh?", then the full credits said he played Jerry Vale. Heckuva makeup job there.

8. DanOregon

More than 17.1 million people have watched it - or 17.1 Netflix accounts watched - making it probably the most watched Oscar contender since Lord of the Rings.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I loved them getting Jim Norton to play Don Rickles.

10. DanOregon

Would have liked to see them de-age Rickles though. While I found the de-aging very convincing and not distracting - what was distracting was the way DeNiro and Pacino moved when they were "younger." Oddly, I don't remember Pesci walking or moving much at all.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Marriage Story; wow that’s some rough stuff from the POV of a very happily married guy. Nice performances (great to see Julie Haggerty again).

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I spent the afternoon watching The Irishman. It was disappointingly underwhelming. Despite third billing, Pesci was on point and carried the movie. Bobby D mailed it in, and it was laughable to see him playing a 20, 30, 40, 50 year old of himself. Pacino was a clown.

I say that as someone who is a card carrying fan of everything and everyone this movie is associated with.

Draft saved Draft deleted