1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Dems: “We have enough evidence to remove Trump.”

GOP: “No you don’t. We’re not convinced. The witnesses don’t have direct knowledge. It’s hearsay. You don’t have enough evidence. You rushed through this.”

Dems: “OK then, let’s call some additional witnesses who have direct knowledge, and provide additional documents.”

GOP: “No you can’t. It’s too much evidence. Stop dragging this thing out. Besides, it doesn’t matter. He can do whatever he likes as long as he feels it’s good for the country.”

Yep.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Also, when the president is trying to fix the next election, you bring the case before the next election happens. You know, to expose the corruption. The Dems proved the case. Republicans just ignored it. Getting more through the courts wasn’t needed and wasn’t going to happen anytime soon.

The GOP was never going to acquit. But holding the first Senate impeachment trial (out of 15) in history with no witnesses is awful, and an awful look. The vast majority of the country wanted witnesses.

The GOP failed to do its duty and will choke on it in November.

matt_garth likes this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

And damning evidence will keep coming out, making the GOP look even worse.

Thankfully Trump will forever be impeached. First paragraph of his obit.

garrow likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I didn't expect anything different. The trial has made the GOP look bad, the longer it goes, the worse they look with their acquittal - so I understand the no witnesses. I'm just wondering why they are so eager to co-sign their legacies to the remainder of this presidency. I would have expected a better constructed plan for acquitting the President while also looking like they took the process and their job seriously.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It always gets attributed to Winston Churchill, but I am not sure it was actually said by him. ... But that quote about how Americans will always do the right thing after they have exhausted all the alternatives? I think we can officially retire that one.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll get back to you in November. Churchill wasn't talking about the Senate. For whatever reason our country is slow to come around on things, slavery, the Nazis, civil rights, (still waiting on global warming) - and our form of government makes it quite difficult for our leadership to be in sync with the vox populi barring a catastrophe.

OscarMadison and heyabbott like this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Telling people the only way to remove an avowed crook like Trump is an election is like saying the only way for the Harlem Globetrotters to lose is on the court against the Washington Generals.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.